I’m Kelsey – wife, mother, and BFF’s with my KitchenAid mixer. When I’m not chasing around my three active kiddos, out for a run, or catching up on the latest Netflix documentary, you can bet I’ll be cooking, baking or dancing in the kitchen!
Growing up, if I wasn’t at the dance studio or out on the farm, I was in the kitchen. My siblings and I would line up on chairs taking turns adding ingredients to the cookie dough and argue over who got to be the egg-cracker. When I first heard about food science being a college degree, I knew exactly what I wanted to major in.
I went to Iowa State for food science and eventually got my master's at Kansas State. Being a food scientist, I always felt like I was trying to solve a mystery (it’s like being part of the CSI, but way more tasty)! I love the challenge of having to figure out why bread didn’t rise properly, why the egg whites won’t form stiff peaks, and why the pie is so salty (that one wasn’t much science though….just salt & sugar in the incorrect canisters!)
Combining my love for food and family is a pretty easy calculation. Almost all family gatherings include food…..after all, a party without cake is just a meeting right?? While you’re here, you’ll find recipes that are family-friendly and made with easy-to-find ingredients (this is important when you live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, ha!)
I hope you find a quick & easy one-pot wonder that your kids will rave about. Or a dessert that’ll be requested over and over again at family gatherings. Or a new cookie recipe that’ll have your kids fighting over which one gets to lick the beaters! Food brings people together and I’m honored to be a small part of that. Welcome to my little corner of the Internet!
Frequently Asked Questions
When my husband and I got married, we were living in the Des Moines metro area where there were numerous opportunities for food scientists. However, moving to the farm in small town Iowa, the job opportunities in my field were.....none. So I decided to start the blog in hopes it would take off!
10 Fun Facts About Me!
- My brother introduced me to my (now) husband at a bar in college.
- I was on a Food Network show in 2022 (Big Bad Budget Battle) hosted by Ree Drummond.
- My parents AND in-laws are both Kevin and Linda.
- Our family lives on a pig, corn and soybean farm.
- I love country music, LOVE it!
- My favorite food has always been ice cream.
- My first job was at an ice cream shop… no surprise, huh?!
- Our son was named after a rodeo cowboy.
- I was once so excited to practice a tap routine in the garage that I backed the car out before the garage door was up.
- I always said I didn’t want to run my own business so I could just work from 8-5, go home and forget about work. Well, here we are… running my own business, raising babies and loving every minute of it!! <3