Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars have a creamy filling, tart berries and a buttery oat crumble on the bottom and top!Jump to Recipe
As much as I love family favorites, developing new recipes is something that really makes me happy. I love that it’s always a challenge and can take numerous tries to get it just right. I really think it’s the trials and frustration of the process that makes the finished, perfected recipe so rewarding!
When I tried the final version of this recipe, I was SOOO excited!! It was exactly what I was going for, and worth all the “not-quite-perfect” batches. The buttery crumble, tart berries and creamy filling is the most scrumptious combination of flavors and textures! I can’t wait for you to give it a try!
Making Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars is easy! Here’s how…
First, you’ll want to preheat the oven to 350F and prepare your 9×13 pan. I always like to line my pans with parchment paper. However, you can simply use cooking spray instead!
Making the top and bottom oatmeal crumb mixture…
Once your pan is ready, it’s time to get baking! In a large bowl (I like to use my KitchenAid mixer), you’ll combine the butter and sugars. Then, the baking soda, salt, flour and oatmeal is added.
When it’s thoroughly combined, you’ll press half of that mixture into the bottom of the pan. You certainly do not need to measure to get “exactly half”…just use your best guess! Then, you’ll bake it for 13 minutes.
Making the cream cheese filling…
While the bottom layer is baking, you will prepare the filling. It’s really important to have the cream cheese at room temperature. Once it is, you’ll place it in a mixing bowl, and stir it until it’s smooth. Slowly add the sweetened condensed milk with a whisk until well combined. Then add the eggs and vanilla and your filling is ready!
When the bottom layer is done baking, pour the filling over it and spread until it’s even. Then sprinkle the berries over the filling (see below to see if you can use fresh or frozen berries). Finally, sprinkle the remainder of the oatmeal crumble on top and gently press it into the filling.
The final bake!
Then it’s time for the final bake! Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are beginning to become a golden brown color. Once it’s done, you’ll let the bars cool completely and then refrigerate until you’re ready to serve!
What kind of berries should I use?
I like to use either blueberries, raspberries or a combination of the two. You could also use blackberries. This recipe reminds me of the Blueberry Custard Pie here on the blog – it’s another recipe where I like using a combination of blueberries and raspberries sometimes! Oh, my Raspberry Cheesecake French Toast Casserole, too! Perfect for any kind of berry.
Should I use fresh or frozen berries for the Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars?
Either will work great!! If you use fresh berries, you’ll just want to wash them off and let them dry on a paper towel so you don’t have too much extra moisture.
If you chose to use frozen berries, I do recommend thawing them out. Once they’re thawed out, rinse them off and lay them out on a paper towel to soak up extra moisture. Then, they’re ready to use!
How should I store the bars?
Once the bars are completely cool, cover them and place in the refrigerator. They’ll be good for 4-5 days….if they last that long! 😉
Can I freeze Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars?
Yes! I did test this out to make sure they freeze okay. I simply thawed them in the fridge and they were just as good as they were the day I made them!
Make today or Pin It for later!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen!
Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars
- 3/4 c butter softened
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 c flour
- 1 1/3 c quick oats (uncooked)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 c blueberries (or raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×13 pan by lining with parchment paper or coating with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Then stir in the baking soda, salt, flour and oatmeal until combined. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake for 13 minutes.
- While the bottom layer is baking, make the filling. Place the cream cheese in a large bowl and stir until smooth. Slowly add the sweetened condensed milk with a whisk to make sure it's mixed well. Then add the vanilla and egg yolk.
- Once the bottom layer is done baking, pour the cream cheese mixture over it and carefully spread it out. Add the berries on top of the cream cheese layer. Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal crumble on top and press it down lightly.
- Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting; store in the refrigerator.