This frozen dessert has no-churn ice cream sandwiched between two brownies....they're rich, filled with super creamy ice cream and the flavor combos are endless! These Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches are sure to be a hit!!Jump to Recipe
I'm ice cream obsessed. It doesn't matter what time of year it is....hottest day of summer or the coldest winter day, there's about a 95% chance I'll finish my day with a scoop of ice cream. Life is all about balance....eat popcorn at the movies, hike the nature trail, have a salad, drink a glass of wine and eat the dang ice cream!
Although I'm typically diving into a tub of Edy's, these little Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich squares are an extra special treat! As you'll see below, there are many flavor variations to try.
What are your thoughts on ice cream sandwiches? I've always thought they were alright, but am always disappointed when the cookies are hard and smash the ice cream out. Well I've swapped the cookies out for brownies and think it's the most genius idea I've had in quite some time! 😉
Are Ice Cream Sandwiches easy to make?
Typical ice cream sandwiches can be finicky. You've gotta get the scoop of ice cream just the right size. The cookies have to be perfectly soft. And then you scoop, and scoop...and scoop and hope your ice cream doesn't melt before you're done.
But with these Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches, there's NO scooping ice cream! Instead of a million cookies, you just have two sheets of brownie. And there's no scooping ice cream, because it's a no churn ice cream that will easily pour into the pan and freeze up perfectly! Read on to learn how...
What ingredients are needed?
- Brownie Mix + the ingredients needed to make the brownies. You'll want to be sure to get the 10.25 oz pouches of brownie mix. The pouch will say to bake them in a 8x8 or 9x9 pan, but we will bake them in a 9x13 so they end up being perfectly thin for the sandwiches!
- Heavy Whipping Cream. The liquid stuff in a carton....make sure you don't accidentally grab half and half or buttermilk (speaking from experience...) 😉
- Sweetened Condensed Milk. Find this in the baking aisle....not to be confused with evaporated milk.
- Flavor! Depending on what type of ice cream you plan to make, you'll need different ingredients. See additional notes in the recipe card below.
How to make Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
1. Make the brownies
First off, it's important that you buy the pouches (not boxes) of brownie mix. The pouch will say to bake it in a square pan, but you're going to spread them in two 9x13 pans. This way, you'll have thinner brownies and a perfect brownie to ice cream ratio!
You'll also want to be sure to line the pans with parchment paper. This makes it super easy to move the brownie layers where they need to be.
2. Make the no churn ice cream
If you've made my No Churn Rhubarb Berry Ice Cream, this is the same concept! Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Then, use a rubber spatula to gently fold the sweetened condensed milk in. This takes a little bit of time, but be patient. You don't want to mix it too vigorously because that'll change the texture.
Now's the fun part - flavor! Depending what kind you're making, this is where you can add things like crushed Oreos, colors, sprinkles, etc!
3. Make the sandwiches & eat!
You've got the first brownie piece on the bottom of one of the pans. Now, pour the ice cream over it and carefully place the other brownie piece over the ice cream. Freeze, remove from the pan, use a large knife to cut into squares and enjoy!
Let's talk flavor!
Thinking about all of the flavor possibilities with these makes me a little giddy! Ha! Dorky, I know, but seriously, the options are endless!
In the recipe card below, I explain how to make three different flavors of no churn ice cream: Mint Chocolate Chip (using fresh mint leaves!), Peanut Butter Oreo and Rainbow Confetti. However, you can always play with other flavors or add-ins. Here are a few that come to mind...
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry: Make the ice cream base then stir in ½ cup of strawberry jam and ½ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Turtle: Add ⅓ cup caramel sauce, ⅓ cup chocolate chips and ½ cup pecans into the ice cream base.
- Candy Jar: Add ½ - 1 cup of crushed candies into the ice cream base (Mini M&M's, crushed Butterfingers, chopped up Reeses Peanut Butter Cups...)
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 10.25 oz packets brownie mix + ingredients called for on package
- 3 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Flavors!!! See instructions for details.
- Mix the brownies as directed, but bake in parchment lined 9x13 pans (rather than the square pan it calls for); let them cool completely.
- Next, make the no-churn ice cream:Peanut Butter Oreo - In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the whipping cream. Whisk until stiff peaks form. Then, gently fold in the sweetened condensed milk and ½ cup of peanut butter. The peanut butter won't completely disperse (which is good - it'll leave a marbled look!). Then, stir in 16 crushed Oreos.Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip - Measure 1 cup of fresh mint leaves and place into a bowl; set aside. Pour 1 cup of heavy cream into a microwave-safe bowl and heat until really hot, but not yet boiling. Pour the heavy cream over the mint and let sit for 1 hour. Then, strain the cream, discarding the leaves. Refrigerate the cream until cold. Then, in the bowl of a stand mixer, add the mint whipping cream and the other two cups of plain whipping cream. Whisk until stiff peaks form. Then, gently fold in the sweetened condensed milk and a couple drops of green food coloring. Once it's combined, stir in ½ cup of mini chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate chips.Rainbow Confetti - In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the whipping cream. Whisk until stiff peaks form. Then, gently fold in the sweetened condensed milk. Next, divide the ice cream between several bowls and stir in food coloring to make a few different colors.
- Put it all together:Peanut Butter Oreo - Melt 1 cup of peanut butter in the microwave until slightly runny. Spread half of the peanut butter over the bottom brownie. Then, pour the ice cream over top (as much or little as you want). Then, spread the remaining peanut butter over the other brownie and place it peanut butter side down onto the ice cream. Cover with foil and freeze for 8+ hours.Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip - Pour the ice cream over top (as much or little as you want). Then press the other brownie piece onto the ice cream. Cover with foil and freeze for 8+ hours.Rainbow Confetti - Scoop the different colors over the bottom brownie, creating a marbled effect. Sprinkle some jimmies between layers, if desired. Then, take a knife to swirl it around a bit. Place the other brownie piece on top. Sprinkle with jimmies, if desired, then cover with foil and freeze for 8+ hours.
- Remove the entire ice cream filled brownie out of the pan, remove parchment paper and place on a cutting board. Use a large knife to cut into squares & enjoy! Freeze the leftovers.