This easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day. Chicken and vegetables are mixed into a creamy sauce and topped with super simple Pie Crust Crackers - yum!!Jump to Recipe
When I was little, my siblings and I would run off the school bus and right into the house ready for our afternoon snack. And like any "always hungry" kids, we'd ask what's for supper!
My mom is an incredible cook - no matter what was on the menu, it was delicious! But when the answer to that "what's for supper" question was "soup," I always whined and asked "do we have to have that?"
And as much as I complained about having soup for supper, I always ended up liking it. Now, just thinking about turning my nose up to homemade soup with freshly baked bread boggles my mind! I mean, come on, what was I thinking?!! These days, I'd love to go home to Mom's Beef & Barley soup and that fresh baked white bread!
Ok, so maybe I wasn't the biggest soup-lover growing up, but nowadays, I'll eat about any kind of soup, stew, chowder....whatever you wanna call it! This Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a new favorite! (And McKinley LOVES it too, which makes this mama happy!)
What's in this easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
- Butter - The butter plays a couple important roles. First off, flavor! And second, it helps so the flour doesn't clump up. The fat particles actually surround the flour particles and disperse them, so they're unable to re-join and clump up. Cool, huh?
- Onion & Celery - Flavor, flavor, flavor!
- Flour - The flour helps thicken the soup.
- Chicken Broth & White Wine - Any soup needs some sort of liquid base. The combination of broth and wine is the perfect marriage of flavors and goes great with the chicken.
- Salt, Pepper & Ground Thyme - Once again, flavor! (And did you know that salt actually enhances the intensity of other spices, too?!)
- Chicken & Vegetables - It's all about texture, flavor and let's be honest....it wouldn't live up to the "Chicken Pot Pie Soup" title if it was missing either of these!
- Heavy Whipping Cream - The whipping cream gives this soup a creamy texture and richer flavor.
- Pie Crust & Egg Wash - Unless you're feeling ambitious, refrigerated pie crust works great for this recipe! All it needs is a little brush of egg wash, and you'll have cute little golden pie crust "crackers" in no time!
What kind of chicken should I use in this recipe?
We like using shredded rotisserie chicken for this recipe for a couple reasons. First off, it's EASY. Second, our local grocery store has such tasty rotisserie chicken and it brings a little extra yummy flavor to the soup!
However, you could use other types of chicken too. You can bake chicken breasts or thighs (or whichever cut you like) until it's done and shred or dice it. Have leftover grilled chicken? Leftover fried chicken? Leftover any other type of chicken? Go for it! 😉
What else could I use if I'm out of pie crust dough?
If you're feeling ambitious, you can certainly make a homemade pie crust
However, if you aren't feeling quite so ambitious (or perhaps you don't love pie crust?!), I've got a few other options...
- Regular Crackers - In a pinch, I these would be just fine atop a bowl of this delicious soup!
- Biscuits - This would be more like chicken & biscuits, but there's certainly nothing wrong with that! I love a good biscuit and know it would be deeeeelish on this soup! Here's a cheesy biscuit recipe I'd highly recommend.
- Puff Pastry - Does anyone else love having puff pastry on hand? I sure do! These Flaky Puff Pastry Crackers would be such a nice addition to the soup!!
Can I make this easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup in the slow cooker?
Yes!! There are a couple ways to do this....
- You can either make the soup and then pour it into a slow cooker to stay warm. This would work well if you're having company, but won't be home until right before they arrive (or you want to have your kitchen cleaned up by the time they get there!!).
- You could also make the whole recipe in the slow cooker without having to get a pan out on the stove top. However, the instructions will change. Here's how to make it in the slow cooker:
-Add everything to the slow cooker, except for the cream and flour.
-Cook on "high" for 3 hours.
-Whisk together the cream and flour until smooth (be sure there are no clumps of flour) and whisk into the soup.
-Continue to cook on "high" for one more hour, or until the soup has thickened.
-Make the pie crust crackers as the recipe has instructed and serve with the soup!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 3 tablespoon butter
- ½ c chopped onion
- ½ c chopped celery
- ¼ c flour
- 4 c chicken broth
- ½ c dry white wine* (or additional chicken broth)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground thyme
- 2 c frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 c shredded or diced cooked chicken**
- 1 c cream (or half & half)
Pie Crust Crackers
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust dough or homemade pie crust***
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
To make the Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery. Saute until the vegetables are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir quickly.
- Slowly whisk in about 1 cup of the broth. Be sure that the flour is full combined and not clumpy - whisk continuously.
- Add the remaining broth, wine, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Bring the soup to a boil, stirring on occasion.
- Stir in the vegetables, chicken and cream (or half & half).
- Serve warm with pie crust crackers.
To make the Pie Crust Crackers
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the refrigerated pie crust.
- Use a knife to cut the crust into little squares or cut fun shapes with mini cookie cutters.
- Place the pie crust crackers onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together the egg yolk and water. Lightly brush the mixture over the crackers.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with the chicken pot pie soup.
Recipe added to the Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday.
Looks delicious! I would like to invite you to a brand new linky party at Big Green House: https://abiggreenhouse.com/the-super-fabulous-friday-linky-party-1/
Come on by and link up 🙂