Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Gravy is simple to put together, cook quickly and are bursting with flavor and juiciness. Pair with some noodles or mashed potatoes, and you're well on your way to making a hearty, comforting meal the whole family will enjoy!Jump to Recipe
Have you ever come across a recipe your mom or dad made growing up and thought "huh, I haven't had this in forever!" Well, about a month ago, my sister sent me a Snapchat of the supper she was making and it was Mom's hamburger steak recipe. I'm SO glad she reminded me about that delicious meal, because we've had it a few times since then! 🙂 (I always love a hubby & toddler-approved meal!!)
The thing I like most about these hamburger steaks is how savory they are, thanks to the onion soup mix and mushrooms. Savory. Umami. Mouth-watering. Use whatever word you want....just make them and you'll see what I mean!!
What ingredients do I need to make Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Gravy?
- Ground Beef - I typically use 80/20 ground beef, but use whatever you've got on hand!
- Bread Crumbs - You can use store-bought bread crumbs (plain or flavored will work) or make your own. To make your own, take a few slices of dried out bread and pulverize in the food processor until you've got fine crumbs.
- Onion Soup Mix - Can you say FLAVOR?! You just need one envelope, but it brings so much flavor to the dish!
- Worcestershire Sauce - Again, FLAVOR!
- Egg - Use 1 large or extra large egg. If you have medium-sized eggs, use 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk.
- Vegetable Oil - Or whatever cooking oil you've got on hand.
- Can of Sliced Mushrooms - If you want to use fresh mushrooms, that's fine too. Simply use 1 cup of sliced mushrooms and they'll cook down nicely into the sauce!
- Flour - Regular, plain 'ol all-purpose flour
- Water - I don't think this one needs explained! 😉
How do you make Hamburger Steaks from scratch?
1. Make the patties.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, and egg and seasonings. I like to use my hands to mix this up as I think it's the easiest way to do so. I do this with meatloaf and meatballs, too! Then, you'll form 4 patties (each about ¾-1 inch thick) and place them on a plate.
2. Get cookin'!
Add the vegetable oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat and brown the patties on both sides. This will take about 2 minutes on each side. Then, remove the meat from the pan and place on a clean plate.
3. Make the gravy.
In the same skillet, you'll add the flour and whisk it constantly for 30 seconds. This will cook off the "floury" taste and will help get the smooth texture you want in a gravy! Then, add the rest of the soup mix and some of the water, whisking until combined. It's important to add these in slowly - nobody wants floury chunks in their gravy! 🙂 Then the rest of the water and the mushrooms will be added and stirred in.
4. Put it all together, let simmer and serve!
Once the gravy is smooth and beginning to thicken, place the patties back into the pan. Turn the burner on low and simmer slowly for 20-30 minutes or until the patties have reached 160F. Then it's time to devour.....you're in for a real treat!!
What should I serve with Hamburger Steak?
I like to serve with either buttered noodles or mashed potatoes. The mushroom gravy just goes so well with either of those options! I'll add a side of veggies, like Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts, and probably dessert. Life's all about balance, right?!
Can I freeze Hamburger Steaks?
Yes! You can freeze them as a meal prep option OR freeze the leftovers. Here's how...
If you want to make these ahead of time (like if you're making freezer meals), I would recommend mixing and shaping the patties and freezing them in a tightly sealed freezer bag. Then, when you're ready to enjoy the meal, thaw out the patties overnight in the fridge and continue on with the recipe as stated.
If you want to freeze leftovers, you can do that, too. Because this is a flour-based gravy, it will last up to 4 months in the freezer (whereas a milk-based gravy will not freeze well). Make sure the patties and gravy are completely cool, package in a tightly sealed container or baggies and freeze.
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 c bread crumbs
- 1 1-oz pkg dry onion soup mix divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 4-oz can sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 c water
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce and egg; form into 4 patties.
- Add the vegetable oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat. Brown the patties on both sides and remove the meat from the pan. (Keep the remaining oil in the pan)
- Then, add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add the remainder of the onion soup mix, and half of the water. Whisk until combined. Then add the rest of the water and the mushrooms (and the juice from the mushrooms).
- Once the gravy is smooth and beginning to thicken, place the patties back into the pan. Turn the burner on low and simmer slowly for 20-30 minutes.
Recipe added to the Weekend Potluck.