This sweet, crunchy Hot Chocolate Snack Mix has chocolate-y cereal, white and semi-sweet chocolate and a hot chocolate coating. Bring it to your next get-together...it's a huge crowd pleaser!Jump to Recipe
If you live in the midwest, you know two things really, really well: cold weather and puppy chow. And if you're like me, you only enjoy one of the two! 😉
I love puppy chow and all different variations of it, including my Cookies and Cream Puppy Chow! Well today, I'm really switching it up and introducing this Hot Chocolate Snack Mix!
This snack mix starts with Oreo O's cereal, is covered in chocolate and coated in a flavorful hot cocoa/powdered sugar mixture. Then, marshmallows are stirred in and it's ready to be served! If you love puppy chow, give this snack mix a try!! It's a fun way to mix it up, especially during hot chocolate season!
- Oreo O's Cereal - This cereal comes in a large blue box. I was able to find them in our local grocery store as well as Walmart. If you can't find them, Chocolate Cheerios or even Cocoa Puffs would work too.
- Butter - I used salted butter, but either unsalted or salted will work.
- White and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - I really like the combination of the two. However, you can use all of one or the other (or milk chocolate) if that's what you have on hand.
- Hot Chocolate Mix - The powdered stuff. I had the little packets and poured them into a measuring cup.
- Powdered Sugar
- Mini Marshmallows
How to Make Hot Chocolate Snack Mix
- Measure the cereal and place it in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter, semi-sweet chips and white chocolate chips in the microwave. Be careful not to over-cook the chocolate. Stirring frequently and cooking on a low power setting will help prevent this.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal and stir carefully. Oreo O's are pretty sturdy, so they won't crush as easily as other cereals, but you still want to be gentle. I find that using a large rubber spatula and using a "folding" motion helps keep the cereal intact.
- Next, you'll make the powdery mixture. Simply add the hot chocolate mix and powdered sugar into a gallon sized resealable bag.
- Pour the chocolate-covered cereal into the bag, then seal and shake until all of the cereal is covered.
- Dump the snack mix into a serving bowl (or storage container) and stir in the marshmallows.
How to Store the Snack Mix
Store the snack mix in an airtight container or a resealable bag. Otherwise, the marshmallows will harden and the cereal will become stale. Store at room temperature for up to a week.
Other fantastic snack mixes...
Praline Crunch - This stuff is so tasty, but I'm going to warn you: it's ADDICTIVE!!
Cookies & Cream Puppy Chow - It's like the classic puppy chow, but with a flavorful Oreo twist!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Hot Chocolate Snack Mix
- 8 c Oreo O's cereal
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅔ c white chocolate chips
- ⅔ c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c hot cocoa mix
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- Measure out the cereal and add to a large bowl; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, white and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and gently stir to coat. Continue until the cereal (even the stuff at the bottom of the bowl!) is evenly coated.
- Pour the hot chocolate mix and powdered sugar into a gallon sized resealable bag and shake to mix.
- Pour the chocolate-coated cereal into the baggie. Seal the baggie and shake until coated.
- Add the marshmallows, shake again, then pour into serving bowl.
Leave a Reply