Every aspect of this Triple Lemon Poke Cake is vibrant and lemony! With a flavorful base, tangy filling, and sweet homemade whipped topping, this dessert is sure to be a hit!!Jump to Recipe
When my husband and I began dating six years ago now, I remember discussing holiday traditions one evening. We chatted about everything from Santa’s visits to Christmas mass and artificial vs real trees.
With my love for cooking and baking, the holidays were especially fun for me…..it’s like a month-long excuse to make as many sweets as possible to help spread the holiday cheer, so what’s not to love?!
Every family has their “go to” holiday treats and I wanted to make something that brought back memories for Zach. That night Zach told me about some of his favorites including peanut butter balls, peanut butter star cookies, and most of all – lemon cookies.
I asked about these cookies as I had never eaten a lemon cookie. Zach kind of chuckled and told me that his mom has a love/hate relationship with these cookies….
You see, all three of her boys loved these cookies, so they were a must during the holidays. However, because the batter is super thick, she’s ruined at least three hand mixers trying to mix up these cookies. Ha!
Luckily, she was given a KitchenAid stand mixer a couple years ago for Christmas and can finally make the cookies without worrying when her mixer is going to give up. (I think I could be a KitchenAid salesperson – I just love them – worth every penny!!!)
I’ve been lucky enough to have Linda make us a batch of these lemon cookies (sooooo good!). I can’t wait to post them as we ease into the holidays later this year. But for now, we’re holding off on holiday talk and focusing on all things SPRING!
This Triple Lemon Poke Cake is seriously good. In fact, earlier this week, my coworker told me that it is the best cake she’s every had…..like ever. I’m not sure there’s a better compliment than that!!
What is Triple Lemon Poke Cake?
Let’s walk through this cake (cue the drool)….
1. We start off with a boxed cake mix – easy peasy! And who doesn’t love easy?!
2. We whip up the filling that is really the star of the show. This filling is a luscious, lemony, tart and smooth lemon curd. It’ll soak into the holes, set up in the fridge, and cut beautifully into cake pieces. The fact that it’s made in the microwave makes the filling a little less intimidating and works like a charm.
3. Nothing compares to freshly-whipped whipped cream, especially when pairing it with a tart, flavor-packed cake. The sweetness from the whipped cream really rounds out the flavor of the cake – keeping it from being super tart, but helping it mellow out a bit.
Some other poke cakes you might like include…
Triple Lemon Poke Cake
- 1 box lemon cake mix* + ingredients called for on the box
- 1 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 c butter melted
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Prepare the cake mix in a 9×13 pan, according to the box instructions.
- While the cake is baking, grab a medium sized microwave-safe bowl and whisk together the 1 c sugar and eggs until completely combined. Then whisk in the lemon juice and melted butter.
- Microwave on high in 1 minute intervals, stirring each time, for 2 minutes. Then microwave in 30 second intervals until the mixture has began to boil. When you take it out of the microwave to stir, you’ll notice it has thickened slightly. Set aside.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately take a butter knife or meat fork and poke holes all around the cake.
- Pour the warm lemon curd slowly over the entire cake, giving it time to soak into the holes a bit; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once the cake has had enough time to cool, pour the whipping cream into a bowl and use a hand mixer (or a stand mixer) to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar and beat well. Fold in the lemon zest and spread over the cake. Top with yellow sprinkles and lemon slices, if desired.