I’ve got a raging sweet tooth….actually, I’m pretty sure that each of my 28 teeth fall into this category. Don’t get me wrong, I love juicy bone-in chicken wings, cheeseburgers, and ooey-gooey slices of pizza, but 9 times out of 10, I’d prefer to skip the main dish and head straight for dessert!
It must run in the family… My dad’s mom (Grandma Gent) and my mom’s dad (Grandpa Bill) each have a serious love of sweets. Grandpa Bill is an ice cream fanatic, and that was surely passed onto me. I was always reminded that “no matter how full you are, ice cream always fits into the cracks” 🙂 And Grandma Gent……I swear she’s got sugar flowing through her veins. This woman loves her sweets – ice cream, pie, cookies, you name it, she’s a fan. When I call her up on the phone, you can bet we’re going to talk about the most recent thing we’ve been whipping up in the kitchen! I’ve got the coolest grandparents…..but that’s a whole other blog post for a later date. (But really look how cute they are!)
Anyway…..back to my sweet tooth…
Although I could spent hours upon hours in the kitchen baking up an extravagant dessert, life is busy and there aren’t unlimited hours in a day. Sometimes, you just need a super easy sweet treat to satisfy a dessert craving and I’m going to share one of my favs!
With just three ingredients (yup, THREE!) these are perfect for after-school snacks or quick desserts….. introducing…. CHURRO BITES!
Just three ingredients are needed to whip up these cinnamony, sweet, crunchy churro bites!!
-1 sheet frozen puff pastry
-1/2 c sugar
-1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-caramel or chocolate dipping sauce, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Thaw the puff pastry just a few minutes, until it is pliable enough to open the folds. Lay the puff pastry flat and cut the square into 144 little squares (12 strips horizontal, 12 strips vertical).
3. Spread the puff pastry pieces out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Try not to let any of the pieces overlap.
4. Bake 15 minutes or until the tops of the squares are golden brown.
5. In a medium sized bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar.
6. When the puff pastry comes out of the oven, scoop the pieces into the bowl with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Carefully stir until all pieces are coated.
7. Serve with warm caramel or chocolate sauce, if desired.