This dip has all the classic flavors of a slice of supreme pizza! Hot Pizza Dip has everything from sausage, pepperoni, pizza sauce and peppers, and is topped with a layer of ooey gooey melty cheese! Scoop it up with a toasted baguette and watch it disappear (quickly)!!Jump to Recipe
Football rivalries. I remember them in high school football, and now I experience them with college and NFL football teams. But there are two BIG rivalries this weekend – really, the biggest two of the year in our household.
One rivalry Zach and I agree on. The other……well, not so much. When it comes to college football, we’re loyal (forever true!) Iowa State Cyclone fans. We both were avid fans throughout college and continue to cheer for the cardinal and gold today.
This weekend is the CyHawk series, and if you’re in Iowa, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Like in most states, when the two in-state teams play each other, there’s just a whole new competitive atmosphere. It’s like the “I’ll cheer on the Hawkeyes….until they play the Cyclones” type of mentality. It’s intense, it’s real and it’s the best football week of the year!
However, when we talk about NFL football, Zach and I will definitely not be wearing the same colors. The Packers and the Vikings play on Sunday and we’ll be rooting for the opposite teams. I’ll be sporting my green and gold (Go Pack, Go!) and Zach will decked out in purple and gold. (I still think he’d look better in green….)
Ok, I should rewind a bit. I said I’d be wearing green and gold, but that’s IF I can find my Packers jersey. When I said we root for different teams, it’s no joke. Zach literally hid my jersey last year and claims he “doesn’t remember where he put it.” (Trust me, I’ve looked for it. He hid it REALLY well.) We’ve got some looking to do this week, because it’s about time that beauty reappears!!!
Well no matter what football team is about to play, one thing Zach and I can both agree on is that tailgate food is a must!! There needs to be a good mix of sweet treats and savory items….and a good assortment of cold brews. Well unless you’re preggo, then we’re talking a good assortment of lemonade and diet sodas! 😉
This Hot Pizza Dip has “game day” written all over it! It’s got all the flavors of a slice of supreme pizza, but in dip form. It’s flavorful, cheesy and impossible to resist!!
What other topping can I use?
Something I love about this recipe is that you can change it to fit your pizza preferences. Don’t like peppers? Skip them! Love mushrooms, add them! Want extra cheese? More power to ya! Here’s a list of some toppings you could play around with!
- Black olives
- Canadian bacon
- Diced onions
- Cheddar cheese
- Crumbled bacon
What should I use to dip into the pizza dip?
My favorite thing to dip into the hot pizza dip is toasted baguette slices (crostini). However, there are many more options! You could use crackers, pita chips, tortilla chips and even vegetables (carrots, celery, bell pepper strips)!
Alright – everyone have a great week and GO CYCLONES!!!!
Hot Pizza Dip
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage cooked
- 1/2 c diced bell peppers (green, red, yellow, or combo)
- 1/2 c mini pepperoni slices
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 c pizza sauce
- 1 1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- Additional ingredients for topping optional
- Grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes optional
- Toasted baguette slices*, pita chips or crackers for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, sour cream, cooked sausage crumbles, diced peppers, pepperoni, garlic and Italian seasoning until combined.
- Spread the mixture into a greased pie plate (or small rectangle pan).
- Spread the pizza sauce over the cream cheese mixture and then sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Top with additional pepperoni slices*, crumbled sausage, or whatever pizza toppings you desire! (*Don't get too wild on the pepperoni slices….too many will make the top look a bit greasy)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the outer edges are bubbly.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Serve warm with the toasted baguette slices, pita chips or crackers. Yum!
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cut a baguette into 1/4 inch slices and lay on a baking sheet lined with foil
- Brush olive oil (or vegetable oil) on both sides of each baguette slice
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until they’re slightly golden brown