Mexican Chicken Soup is loaded with chicken and full of flavor making it hearty, healthy and delicious!Jump to Recipe
For those of you who know me well, you know I'm super indecisive. (Mom - I see you nodding your head...!) Well one of the only decisions that came easy for me was saying "yes" to marrying Zach. Cheesy, right? Yeah, I know. But saying "yes" to Zach also meant saying "yes" to moving north to the farm one day.
Well....fast forward to today and here we are living the dream in northern Iowa. Trust me, I love living in rural Iowa, but these cold winter months are just that much colder on this side of the state. (Like really....how can a 3 hour drive make that much of a weather difference?!)
I guess what I'm getting at is this: I'm gonna need lots of good soup to get me through these brutal winter months! And this Mexican Chicken Soup checks all the boxes. It's healthy, super easy, full of flavor, can be made in the slow cooker or on the stovetop and creates few dishes. And the best part?? All those toppings!
- Chicken - I like to use chicken breasts, but other boneless cuts will work great, too.
- Chicken Broth
- Black Beans - If your family doesn't like beans, you can skip these, but I love the heartiness and texture it adds!
- Tomatoes & Green Chilis - I typically use the RoTel brand, but any will work. I tend to use "mild" if the kids are eating, but if you like spice, you can grab a can of "hot" RoTels!
- Corn - I typically use frozen corn, but you can also use a can of corn, drained.
- Chunky Salsa - Using a chunky salsa gives the appearance that you took the time to chop up an onion, peppers and tomatoes but is so much easier and packs the flavor.
- Taco Seasoning
- Fresh Cilantro - People tend to either love or hate cilantro. I personally love the freshness it adds to a dish. However, if you're not a fan, skip it!
- Toppings!!! Sour cream, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, corn chips, avocados, additional cilantro, etc.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Soup
This recipe is SOUPer easy! You'll basically dump all the ingredients into a slow cooker and turn it on! However, there are a couple different methods to cooking the soup - choose whichever works best for the time you've got on hand.
Super short on time? No problem. Toss the ingredients into a large pot and cook it on the stove for 30 minutes on medium-high heat, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Want it to cook throughout the day? Use a slow cooker to cook on HIGH for 4 hours or cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
How to Serve Mexican Chicken Soup
Serve this soup hot with alllll the toppings!! Ok, that's the simple answer, but let's chat more.....
When you've got a number of toppings like in this soup, passing them all around the kitchen table in 6 different bowls is a little annoying. So, I like to use a muffin tin. Place the toppings in the muffin cups so you just have one thing to pass around! I do this with chili, too!
Love soup? Me too! Along with this Mexican Chicken Soup, I also LOVE my Chicken Pot Pie Soup served with pie crust "crackers," my hearty Beef & Barley Soup and this super flavorful Ravioli Soup! Here's to staying nice and warm all winter long! 🙂
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Mexican Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts diced
- 3 c chicken broth
- 1 15.25 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes & green chilis (ex. Rotel tomatoes)
- 2 c frozen corn
- 1 16 oz jar chunky salsa
- 1 1 oz packet taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ c chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, corn chips, avocados, etc. for topping optional
- Add all ingredients (except for cilantro and toppings) to a slow cooker; stir.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.*
- Stir in the cilantro and serve with toppings!