With flavorful Italian sausage, cheese-filled ravioli and spices, Ravioli Soup is a hearty soup everyone will love!Jump to Recipe
I’ve started to see these little ravioli in the pasta section at the grocery store and thought it would be SO fun in a soup! And once I tried it, I knew it would be a hit!! My family sure loves it and I hope yours does, too! 🙂
- Ground mild Italian sausage – This adds so much flavor to the soup! However, if you don’t have any sausage on hand, ground pork or ground beef works well, too.
- Crushed tomatoes with basil & herbs – If you can’t find this specific kind, a can of regular crushed tomatoes will work!
- Chicken broth – Canned, boxed or homemade works!
- Spices: minced onion, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes (optional)
- Dry cheese-filled ravioli pasta – You can find these in the pasta section at the grocery store (see a photo of the box I found in the photo below). If you can’t find these, you can also use cheese-filled tortellini.
- Spinach leaves – I like using baby spinach leaves.
- Heavy whipping cream
How to make Ravioli Soup
First, make sure you’ve got a pot or Dutch oven that’s big enough. This soup makes about 11 cups, so make sure it’ll hold that and give you a little stir space! 🙂
Next, brown and crumble the ground Italian sausage. Drain, then add the tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Once you’ve brought that to a boil, add the ravioli (or tortellini). Cook until tender – mine took about 15 minutes, but that’ll depend on the size of the pasta.
Next, add the spinach and give it a good stir. Remove from the heat and pour in the heavy whipping cream. Stir and serve!
I like to serve this soup with parmesan cheese, extra red pepper flakes, and a garnish of parsley or chopped basil. Breadsticks or homemade bread and a cup of fruit will complete the meal perfectly!
How to store leftover soup…
This recipe makes about 11 cups of soup. Therefore, if you have a small family or are cooking for one, you’ll likely have leftovers.
Be sure to let the soup cool completely in a shallow container. Then, pour into a container and cover. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil & herbs
- 5 c chicken broth
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 2 c (or 1 8.8 oz box) dry ravioli
- 2 c spinach leaves
- 2/3 c heavy whipping cream
- In a large pot, brown the ground Italian sausage. Drain the grease.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, minced onion, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes (if using); bring to a boil.
- Once the soup has come to a boil, add the ravioli and cook for 15 minutes or until the ravioli is tender.
- Stir in the spinach and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cream and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.