Salted Nut Roll Bars have a soft buttery crust, a smooth marshmallow layer and a crispy crunchy topping. These are the ultimate sweet and salty treat!Jump to Recipe
When it comes to dessert, I’m usually after something chocolate-y and decadent. There are few things in my mind that top a big scoop of Chocolate Cobbler with a scoop of ice cream on top… swoon!! Ah, I just love that stuff.
But let’s be honest, sometimes we just need a simple treat that’s easier to eat “on the go.” Like for a bake sale, a potluck or for treats to put in a lunchbox. When it comes to a portable, grab and go treat, these Salted Nut Roll Bars are exactly what you need!
What do you need to make Salted Nut Roll Bars?
For the bottom layer, you’ll need a box of yellow cake mix, butter or margarine and an egg.
For the gooey inside, you’ll need mini marshmallows.
And for the topping, you’ll need a bag of peanut butter chips (the Reese’s brand is my favorite!), corn syrup (light or dark), butter (or margarine), crispy rice cereal and salted peanuts.
How do you make Salted Nut Roll Bars?
- First off, prepare a 9×13 pan with grease, preheat the oven and make sure your butter is softened.
- Layer 1: Stir together the cake mix, butter and egg and press into a greased 9×13 pan; bake for 12 minutes. There will still be a bit of a wiggle in the center, but that’s okay.
- Layer 2: As soon as your 12 minutes is up for the bottom layer, you’ll sprinkle the marshmallows on top and put it back into the oven. Leave them in the oven just long enough for the marshmallows to puff up. Once they have, remove the bars from the oven.
- Layer 3: Microwave the peanut butter chips, corn syrup, and butter and stir until smooth. Then, stir in the cereal and peanuts and spread the mixture over the marshmallows.
- Refrigerate to set and enjoy!!
How should I store these bars?
Between Zach and I and our two littles, we certainly *shouldn’t* eat an entire 9×13 pan of treats in one sitting. Though, with these, I probably could get close! 😉 Ok, maybe not. Therefore if I’m not taking these to a potluck, a bake sale or other get together, there are a couple options.
- Simply cover the bars well and let them set out at room temperature or in the fridge. They’re really good either way!
- Cut the bars and place them in a freezer baggie. Make sure the bag has a good seal and freeze. Just grab a bar or two whenever you need a little sweet treat! I do this with cookies and Butterscotch Brickle Bars all the time!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Get the (printable) recipe for Salted Nut Roll Bars below!
Salted Nut Roll Bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2/3 c butter softened
- 1 egg
- 3 c mini marshmallows
- 1 12 oz pkg peanut butter chips
- 2/3 c corn syrup
- 1/4 c butter
- 2 c crispy rice cereal
- 1 1/2 c salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Stir together the cake mix, butter and egg. Press into a greased 9×13 pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- Top with marshmallows and return to the oven until marshmallows are puffy. Then, remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the peanut butter chips, corn syrup, and butter; melt.
- Stir in the cereal and peanuts.
- Spoon the mixture over the marshmallows and spread to an even layer.
- Refrigerate to set then cut into bars.