Eggs, melty cheese and meat fill these Sheet Pan Breakfast Quesadillas which makes for the most crave-able breakfast that’s sure to get you (and the kids!) outta bed!Jump to Recipe
This post is sponsored by Iowa Egg Council.
All opinions and text are my own.
How is it even possible that we’re in the month of September?! Although it was an extremely unusual summer, I’m always sad to see those warm, sunny days in the rear view!
Who’s ready for those crisp fall mornings? Well ready or not, they’re right around the corner. And if you need some new breakfast ideas to get your morning started, I’ve got just what you’re looking for!
These quesadillas can be made and enjoyed right away or frozen for quick breakfasts throughout the week. And my favorite part? Well, they’re super delicious, but also filling. Thanks to the nutrient dense eggs in these, you’re sure to be satisfied until lunch rolls around!
Eggs….are they really good for you?
I love love LOVE breakfast food. Like all of it….Cereal? Yep. Breakfast Sliders? Oh absolutely. Pancakes, French toast, waffles? Yes, yes and yes! But if I’m looking for a nutrient dense breakfast for my family, you can bet I’m making something with EGGS! Eggs are good for people of all ages and stages of life….
For the kiddos! One egg contains eight essential nutrients that boost muscle and brain health. Choosing eggs for breakfast can actually improve academic performance and classroom behavior.
For students. As school begins, kids are spending more time behind a screen (parents too!). Lutein and zeaxanthin found in egg yolks can help protect your eyes from harmful blue light.
For expecting mothers. Eggs are high in choline – a nutrient that most Americans do not consume enough of. Consuming eggs (150 mg choline in each!) while pregnant, can have lasting beneficial effects on brain health and development for babies.
For adults. Starting the day with protein – like the 6 grams of high-quality protein found in eggs – for breakfast helps support muscle and bone health and provides energy throughout the day.
How do you make sheet pan quesadillas?
If you’ve ever made quesadillas for the family, you know it takes awhile to do them one at a time in a skillet. When I thought about breakfast quesadillas, they sounded so tasty, but let’s be real… mornings can be hectic. So, I made these pretty hands-off by using a sheet pan and the oven!
To make sheet pan quesadillas, you’ll need two sheet pans and something heavy to set on top of it (like a cast iron skillet). First, you’ll cook the sausage and pepper mixture and then the scrambled eggs. Then, you’ll place the tortillas on the sheet pan and fill them with cheese, sausage/peppers, eggs and more cheese. (See below).
Ok, now you’ll fold the quesadillas shut and brush the remaining oil over the tortillas. Place the second sheet pan over the quesadillas and then a heavy (oven-safe) item on top of that, like a pizza stone or cast iron skillet. That’ll help the quesadillas keep their shape. (See photo below).
Now, they’re ready to bake! Place in a 400 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes. Then, you’ll remove the top pan and weight, and continue to bake for about 5 more minutes. This will help crisp up that top tortilla. Now it’s time to cut the quesadilla into wedges and enjoy right away or freeze for later!
How to freeze and reheat quesadillas
Wrap each (cooled) quesadilla in parchment paper then place them in a large freezer bag. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply pull one out of the freezer bag and microwave until hot! Now you’ve got a protein-packed breakfast on the go in just 60 seconds or less. I’d say that’s a win!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Sheet Pan Breakfast Quesadillas
- 1/2 lb ground pork sausage
- 1/4 c chopped bell peppers optional
- 1/4 c chopped green onions optional
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 c cottage cheese
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 6 8-inch soft flour tortillas
- 8 oz shredded cheese
- salsa, sour cream, diced avocados optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, brown the sausage with the peppers and green onions. Once done cooking, pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese and seasoned salt.
- Using the same skillet, scramble the egg mixture on low heat. Once finished, set aside.
- Pour 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil onto a sheet pan and use a brush to spread it evenly across the pan.
- Fold each tortilla in half and place them on the pan so they do not overlap. (See my pictures above).
- In each tortilla, layer 1/2 of the cheese, the egg mixture, sausage mixture and lastly the rest of the cheese.
- Brush the remaining vegetable oil on the tops of the quesadillas.
- Place a second sheet pan on top and press it down a bit. Put a heavy pan (like a cast iron skillet) on top and put into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the top pan and cook an additional 5 minutes to crisp up the top of the tortillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm with condiments.
- Use whole wheat flour tortillas for added nutrients.
- Swap the sausage out for crunchy bacon or cubed ham!
- Add more veggies! Mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onions….so many options!!
- Spice it up by using pepperjack cheese!