This one pot Skillet Lasagna has all the components of a classic lasagna, but in a quick and easy 30-minute recipe!Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see Disclosure Policy for details.
This post is sponsored by Iowa Pork Producers Association,
but all opinions and text are my own!
With layers of noodles, cheese and meaty sauce, there’s nothing about a good lasagna I don’t love!! Well, except for the time it takes to make all the separate layers and then piecing them together. Let’s be honest, sometimes we just don’t have time for that!!
Then in enters Skillet Lasagna! All the components of a classic lasagna, but made in a fraction of the time. Still comforting, cheesy and absolutely delicious!
I start this skillet lasagna recipe with a pound of Italian sausage. Adding sausage, rather than plain ground beef or pork, instantly adds flavor to the dish. It also adds lots of protein – in fact, a serving of this dish provides 30 grams of protein!
And if you’re new here, you might not know that I grew up on a pig farm in Iowa (the #1 pork-producing state, by the way!!). Most of that pork is eaten here in the United States and we would love for more people to understand that when you buy pork at any grocery store across the United States, you are supporting family farms in Iowa (like ours!) across the country!
- Ground Italian Sausage – You can use sweet, mild or hot Italian sausage, depending on your preference. If you can’t find the ground sausage, you can use Italian sausage links and remove the meat from the casings.
- Onion – I use yellow onion for this recipe. If you’re in a rush and don’t have time to chop up an onion, you can skip it and add 2 tablespoons dried minced onion when the other seasonings are added.
- Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Lasagna Noodles – For this recipe you’ll use regular noodles (NOT the “no-boil” lasagna noodles). You can also use gluten free lasagna noodles.
- Ricotta Cheese – I personally love the flavor and texture of ricotta. However, you can opt for cottage cheese.
- Mozzarella Cheese
How to make my Skillet Lasagna recipe
You’ll start by cooking the sausage and onions. I like to start with just the sausage and use a meat chopper to chop the meat up well. Then, I add the onions and stir until the meat is browned and the onions have begun to cook.
Next, we’ll add the crushed tomatoes, water and the seasonings. Give it a stir and bring it to a boil.
While that’s coming to a boil, we’ll prep the lasagna noodles. Break the lasagna noodles into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
Once the mixture has come to a boil, stir in the noodles. Place the lid on the skillet and let it cook for 18-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the noodles are tender.
Now we’ll dollop the ricotta (or cottage cheese) and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
Remove from the heat, add the lid and let it set for about 5 minutes. This will give the lasagna time to set up a bit and the cheese to be nice and melty.
Remove the lid, sprinkle with parmesan and parsley, if desired and enjoy!!
You’ll need a pretty large skillet for this. I use a deep 12-inch skillet with a lid. If you don’t have a large skillet, you could also use a large saucepan or pot with a lid.
This recipe was created with regular noodles, so no boil noodles will not work well in it. It simply won’t soak up the water like the regular noodles will and you’ll end up with a soupy dish!
Let the dish cool a bit, then store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
What to Serve with this 30 minute Skillet Lasagna
Keeping with the “quick & easy” topic, my garlic bread spread is always a hit!! Lather it on a loaf of French bread, toast and serve! A simple green salad or bowl of fresh fruit is another great option.
More Quick & Easy Pork Recipes to Try!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
- 1 large skillet with lid
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ½ cup diced onion
- One 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked lasagna noodles (9 noodles)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan and parsley for garnish optional
- Add the sausage to a large skillet. Let it cook for a couple minutes, then add the onions.
- Continue to cook the sausage and onions until the sausage is browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic powder and salt; bring to a boil.
- Break the uncooked lasagna noodles into 1-inch pieces and stir into the sauce; cover with a lid.
- Let boil, stirring frequently, for 18-20 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the sauce is thickened.
- Add dollops of ricotta cheese on top then cover in mozzarella cheese; remove from heat.
- Cover with a lid and let set for a few minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with grated parmesan and parsley, if desired.
Samantha Edgington says
Whole family loved it!
So happy to hear!!! 🙂 ~Kelsey