These super easy Cereal Treats are full of peanut butter, chocolate chips, M&M candies and can be customized with different types of cereal! Since they’re a no bake dessert, they come together in a jiffy!Jump to Recipe
Some seasons of the year just seem SO busy. For an accountant, maybe it’s tax season. Or Christmas for a home décor store. For my family, it’s the spring and fall as we’re planting and harvesting corn and soybeans on the farm.
No matter what “busy” may be for you, having a delicious treat ready for the family is always welcome. These no-bake Cereal Treats take just minutes to make, so they’re perfect for any busy season you come across!
Ingredients for Cereal Treats
- Cereal – I typically use a mixture of Rice Krispies and Special K, but you can customize depending on what you’ve got on hand! Here are a few more options: Corn flakes, Cheerios, Chex, Cocoa Krispies, Honey Bunches of Oats, etc. A couple things to note… No matter what type of cereal you use, you’ll need a total of 6 cups. Also, I do recommend using at least 2 cups of Rice Krispies (or other really small cereal) as it’ll help hold the bars together.
- Brown Sugar – White sugar would also work just fine
- Corn Syrup – Light or Dark Corn Syrup will work
- Peanut Butter – I always use creamy peanut butter, but crunchy peanut butter would work, too
- M&M’s – You can use regular M&M’s (though I like using dark chocolate M&M’s!) or you could substitute with Reese’s Pieces if you’re a peanut butter lover!
- Chocolate Chips – I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use milk chocolate chips or peanut butter chips if you prefer
How to Make Cereal Treats
Tips and Tricks
- Measure all ingredients before you begin. Once the corn syrup/brown sugar is done cooking, you’ll want to work quickly, before it cools off and sets up. If you’ve got it all measured out, you’ll be able to stir it all in much more quickly!
- No microwave? No problem. You can cook the corn syrup/brown sugar mixture in a saucepan on the stove. However, just be careful you don’t boil the mixture. Cook on low for several minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Try different cereal combinations! If you don’t have the cereals I have listed in the recipe card, try a different cereal! Corn Flakes and Chex are two others that will work really great!
Should you refrigerate Cereal Treats?
You certainly do not need to. However, if you want them to cool off and set up a bit quicker (to make them easier to cut and eat), you can put them in the fridge for awhile. Once they have set up, I recommend leaving them on the counter in an air-tight container.
Other No Bake Treats
Loaded Scotcheroos – These Loaded Scotcheroos are like the classic no-bake treats you love, but amped up a bit with gooey caramel, crunchy toffee bits and lots of peanut butter cups!
No Bake Peanut Butter Treats – No Bake Peanut Butter Treats are soft, chewy bites sure to satisfy that sweet tooth! Just 5 ingredients and 15 minutes needed for these tasty treats!
No Bake S’mores Bars – These No Bake S’mores Bars will remind you of a classic s’mores, but with a whole lot less mess!! Bring these simple bars to potlucks, family get together, and of course, the last minute birthday treats!!
Chewy Granola Bars – These no-bake Chewy Granola Bars are made with simple ingredients you likely already have in the pantry! Package them up for quick on-the-go snacks!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
- 4 c Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 c Special K cereal
- 1 c corn syrup
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c peanut butter
- 1 c chocolate chips
- 1 c M&M's
- Grease a 9×13" pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Add the Rice Krispies and Special K cereal to a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar and salt.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until the brown sugar is dissolved. (You don't want the mixture to boil, so if you start seeing bubbles, take it out of the microwave right away)
- Stir in the vanilla and peanut butter until smooth.
- Pour over the cereal and stir until almost combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and M&M's and mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared 9×13" pan and spread out in an even layer.
- Let cool, cut into bars and enjoy!