Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is thick, creamy and hearty - it's like comfort in a bowl on a cold winter night!
Where are my soup-lovers at?! I'll be the first to admit - I used to be super picky about soup and really only enjoyed a good pot of chili (is that even considered a soup?!). Nowadays, I look forward to a hearty bowl of just about any kind of soup out there!
And when I want a cheesy, creamy soup, this one always hits the spot. It's got lots of flavor, hearty potatoes and just the right amount of cheesiness (thanks to the Velveeta!). Oh, and it's perfect for those post-holiday meals when you've got leftover ham! Let's get cookin'!
- Butter - Unsalted or salted butter will work great.
- Carrots - You can use diced baby carrots or regular carrots (peeled and diced)
- Flour - Regular all-purpose flour
- Milk - Any fat percentage will work, but the more fat, the creamier the soup will be (I prefer 2% or whole milk)
- Chicken Broth - I use low-sodium chicken broth and add additional salt, to taste, at the end; however, regular chicken broth will work just fine
- Potatoes - I prefer to use a starchy potato, such as russet or Yukon gold (adds creaminess!)
- Seasonings - Minced onion, salt and black pepper
- Velveeta cheese - I love the creaminess of Velveeta, but if you'd prefer regular shredded cheddar cheese, that'll work great, too
- Ham - Use what you've got! Leftover ham (shredded or cubed), deli ham, etc.
How to Make Easy Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
What to Serve with Ham and Potato Soup
There's nothing better than a good dinner roll or slice of crusty bread to go with a hearty bowl of soup! Add a crisp green salad and you're set for a delicious meal.
Recipes that use Leftover Ham
Ham and Cheese Sliders are on my go-to list of quick and easy recipes. If you've got leftover sliced ham, this would be a great option!
One Pot Cheesy Ham and Noodle Casserole is another great option for leftover ham. Few dishes and just five ingredients - yes, please!
Ham, Egg & Cheese Casserole would be a delicious way to use leftover ham in a breakfast dish! A savory, hearty way to get the day started!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Sarah Krukow says
I made this tonight and it was amazing! The whole family loved it.