Cake Mix Waffles are light and fluffy and can be made with whatever flavor cake mix your heart desires! Top with maple syrup or make it extra special with icing, whipped cream and sprinkles!Jump to Recipe
Wanna know what I think is the WORST thing about making a cake?? Waiting for it to bake. Now, I know I'm not the most patient person on this planet, but when the sweet tooth is hungry, waiting is hard!
Enter the beloved waffle iron! This is a piece of kitchen equipment that is SO underrated in my eyes. It preheats quickly and "bakes" quickly, too! (Remember my Waffle Cookies?!) Therefore the next time you're in a time crunch and want either a quick & yummy breakfast or need to fulfill that sweet tooth, give these Cake Mix Waffles a try!
Cake Mix Waffles Ingredients
- Cake Mix - In these photos (and video) I used funfetti cake mix. However, any flavor will work - try vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, spice cake, etc!
- Eggs - Use the amount listed on the back of the cake mix box.
- Vegetable Oil - Use the amount listed on the back of the cake mix box.
- Water or Milk - Use the amount listed on the back of the cake mix box.
- Toppings - Maple syrup, icing, ice cream, chocolate syrup, whipped topping, sprinkles, etc. Whatever floats your boat!!! 🙂
How to Make Cake Mix Waffles
- Turn on the waffle iron and let it heat up.
- Mix cake mix according to the box instructions.
- Grease the waffle iron if not using a non-stick iron.
- Scoop the batter onto the waffle iron and close the iron.
- Let cook for 4-5 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Remove to a plate and top as desired.
VIDEO: How to Make Cake Mix Waffles
Cake Mix Waffles - FAQ's
How do you store leftovers? First, let them cool completely at room temperature. Then, either place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days OR freeze for up to 2 months.
Can you use a homemade or "doctored up" cake batter? Though I've never tried it, I can't see why not! I think my doctored up Funfetti Cake recipe would be delicious!
What's the best way to serve Cake Mix Waffles? My favorite way to serve them is with warmed icing (cream cheese or buttercream), a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkles! It's such a fun way to celebrate a birthday at breakfast, too!
Fun Flavor Variations
- Red Velvet Cake Waffles - Perfect for Valentine's Day! Use red velvet cake mix and top with warmed cream cheese frosting!
- S'mores Waffles - Use a chocolate cake mix and mix in ½ cup mini chocolate chips to the batter. Bake on the waffle iron then top with marshmallow ice cream topping, hot fudge and crushed up graham crackers!
- Caramel Turtle Waffles - Use a chocolate cake mix and mix in ½ cup finely chopped pecans to the batter. Bake on the waffle iron and top with warmed caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and more pecans!
- Banana Split - Use a vanilla cake mix for the waffles. Top with a scoop of ice cream, sliced bananas, chocolate syrup, sliced strawberries, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry on top!
- Spiced Apple - Use a spice cake and mix in ½ cup finely diced apples. Bake on the waffle iron, then top with warmed apple pie filling and whipped cream!
Other Quick & Easy Breakfast Ideas
Raspberry Danish - Starting with a package of puff pastry makes this Raspberry Danish quick & easy! The creamy filling is surrounded by flaky pastry and drizzled with a simple icing. Beautiful & delicious!
Overnight French Toast Casserole - This easy Overnight French Toast Casserole starts with a box of frozen French toast sticks and gets a crunchy coating with one simple ingredient! Top with a drizzle of maple syrup and dive on in!
Breakfast Braid - This Breakfast Braid has ground sausage, eggs, red peppers and melty cheddar cheese! It’s simple to make, yet pretty enough to serve on a special occasion!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Cake Mix Waffles
- Waffle Iron
- 1 box cake mix any flavor
- Ingredients listed on cake mix box oil, water and eggs
- toppings such as maple syrup, icing, whipped topping, sprinkles, etc.
- Turn on waffle iron and allow to preheat.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and ingredients listed on the box instructions.
- Grease the waffle iron, if yours is not coated with a non-stick surface.
- Scoop batter onto waffle iron, close and let cook for 4-5 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Remove from the waffle iron and repeat until batter is gone.
- Top waffles with maple syrup or dress it up with icing, whipped cream and sprinkles!