Christmas Puppy Chow (aka Christmas Muddy Buddies) is the perfect treat for the holiday season! Chocolate and peanut butter coated cereal are tossed in powdered sugar and mixed with red and green candy for a festive flair!Jump to Recipe
If you're looking for a sweet snack mix to take to a holiday party, look no further!! This no bake holiday puppy chow uses just a few simple ingredients, is easy to throw together and even easier to munch on. Grab a bag of red and green M&M's, turn on the Christmas tunes and whip up a batch....or two!!
Ingredients Needed (amounts in Recipe Card below)
- Cereal - My preferred cereals for puppy chow are Rice Chex and Crispix. You can also use Corn Chex.
- Chocolate Chips - I recommend using semisweet or dark chocolate chips. You could opt to use milk or white chocolate chips, but I find that they add too much sweetness.
- Peanut Butter - I use regular creamy peanut butter. I don't recommend using natural peanut butter as it will change the texture.
- Powdered Sugar - AKA confectioner's sugar
- M&M's - During the holidays, using red and green M&M's are so festive! Try using different flavors, too! Peanut or peanut butter M&M's are a fun surprise!
- Festive Sprinkles - I like to use red and green jimmies (rather than sanding sugar).
How to Make Puppy Chow
First, measure out the cereal and place it in a large bowl.
Next, add the chocolate chips and peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until smooth.
Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the cereal and carefully stir (I like to use a rubber spatula to get all the chocolate off the sides of the bowl) until all cereal pieces are coated.
Now you're going to coat the cereal mixture in powdered sugar. I like to place the powdered sugar in a large resealable Ziploc bag and then add the chocolate coated cereal.
Close the bag and shake until all pieces are covered in powdered sugar (you may need to add more powdered sugar).
Then pour the puppy chow into a large serving bowl and top with sprinkles and M&M's!
Easy to Make for Any Holiday
This delicious snack mix is great for Christmas parties but doesn't stop there. There are so many different types of holiday M&M's!
Grab a bag of Easter M&M's to make this in the spring or a bag of the red, white and blue candies for the patriotic holidays in the summer. It's a great recipe for any time of year!
These Make a Great Party Favor!
If you're looking to give party favors to guests at a Christmas party, this is a really fun treat to send them with. Scoop some into a plastic bag and tie a festive ribbon on top!
Frequently Asked Questions
Make sure the puppy chow has cooled to room temperature then store it in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge for up to five days.
Yes!! Freeze it in an airtight container or freezer bags for up to 3 months.
The Muddy Buddy recipe is branded by General Mills. Puppy Chow is essentially the same recipe....just not branded.
Depends on the cereal you use. If you use Rice Chex cereal, all of the ingredients would be gluten free.