This flavor-packed Mexican Chicken Casserole with rice is as easy as dump, mix, cover and bake! It’s a cheesy, hearty meal that’s as simple as it gets!Jump to Recipe
Wanna know my favorite kind of recipes? Well, ones that are topped with ice cream are actually my favorite, BUT when it comes to dinner recipes, I like them to be EASY. Like dump, stir, cook….that easy. And this Mexican Chicken Casserole most definitely fits the bill.
This is a recipe I can imagine a busy parent making after work….with a baby on their hip and a toddler running around making a mess. (Or maybe I’m just imagining my current situation?) 🙂 Luckily it just takes a few minutes to put this one together and you’ll be back to wrangling kiddos before you know it!
- Mexican Rice – See photo below to see the brand I use
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- Diced Tomatoes & Chilies – I use the original Rotel tomatoes, but you could also use the “hot” version for a little more kick
- Black Beans – I prefer to use the low or no-sodium black beans for this recipe
- Taco Seasoning
- Chicken – A shredded rotisserie chicken works really great for this. You could also use diced or shredded grilled chicken or any other cooked chicken you have on hand
- Cheddar Cheese – If you want a little extra kick, you could swap the cheddar cheese for pepper jack
- Crushed Chips – Tortilla chips, corn chips, Doritos, etc. all work great!
- Optional Toppings such as additional crushed chips, sour cream, guacamole, avocado, jalapenos, cilantro, etc.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Casserole
I love how simple this recipe is!! It’s really as easy as dump, stir, cover and bake. See photos below for details!
- Dump all ingredients (except for the tortilla chips and 1 cup of the cheese) into a greased casserole dish
- Stir well
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Add the crushed chips and give the casserole a stir
- Top with the remaining cheddar cheese
- Bake an additional 20 minutes (uncovered) and enjoy!!!
How to Serve & Store Mexican Chicken Casserole
My favorite way to eat this casserole is piping hot out of the oven with a dollop of sour cream, a scoop of salsa and a sprinkling of green onions. There are truly so many other topping options to choose from – jalapenos, crushed chips, hot sauce, guacamole or avocado, tomatoes, etc. I love recipes that can be customizable with toppings – so fun!
Leftover casserole can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. We like to heat the leftovers up and eat as is OR as a dip with tortilla chip scoops! We also put some of the mixture into a tortilla and enjoyed it as a quesadilla. Get creative!
Other Quick & Easy Recipes
Honey Garlic Chicken – Tender chicken cooked to perfection in a flavorful honey garlic sauce on a bed of rice – even better than your favorite take-out!
Chicken Stuffing Casserole – Another super easy dump & bake recipe!! With meat, veggies and stuffing all in one dish, supper will be on the table before you know it!
Pizza Braid – The perfect kid-friendly meal! It starts with a refrigerated pizza crust and then filling ingredients are customizable to best suit your family’s tastes!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 1 5.4 oz packet Mexican rice*
- 1 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes & chilies (such as Rotel tomatoes)
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1 oz pkt taco seasoning
- 1 3/4 c water
- 2 c shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 2 c cheddar cheese divided
- 1 c crushed tortilla chips OR corn chips
- toppings such as sour cream, salsa, cilantro, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13" casserole dish.
- Dump the rice, cream of chicken soup, tomatoes (don't drain), beans, taco seasoning, water, chicken and 1 cup of the cheese; mix well.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, add the chips and give the casserole a good stir. Top with the remaining cheese and bake an additional 20 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with toppings, if desired.