This Pizza Braid starts with refrigerated pizza dough, making for a quick and easy meal! Customize the filling ingredients to best suit your family's tastes!Jump to Recipe
Do you have a designated "pizza night" at your house?? Sundays are usually pizza nights at our house, but pizza is fair game any night of the week! And during busy farming seasons, pizza nights look a little different.
This time of year (we're planting corn & beans here in Iowa!), you're more likely to see us enjoying a box of the local pizza on the bed of a pickup truck in the field rather than the dinner table. But most of the time, supper for the farmers is on-the-go and that means eating and operating a tractor simultaneously. Therefore, portable, one-handed meals are a must and a few slices of this pizza braid are a fun alternative to a cold meat sandwich!
- Refrigerated Pizza Crust - I use the Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Crust (comes in a 10-oz tube)
- Mozzarella Cheese - I like to shred my own, so I typically purchase a block of cheese. However, a bag of shredded cheese will work, too!
- Toppings - The recipe calls for ½ lb Italian sausage and pepperoni slices, but get creative! Add mushrooms, peppers, onions, pineapple, ham, etc....Whatever your family likes!
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Pizza Sauce, for dipping
How to Make a Pizza Braid
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I've photographed the process of making a braid to clear up any questions. Essentially, you'll unroll a pizza crust and press it into a rectangle, add the cheese and fillings down the center, then cut pieces of the dough to lay over top.
It's then baked until it's a beautiful golden brown. Then a mixture of melted butter and garlic is brushed over the warm braid and it's served with pizza sauce! Easy, right?!
Other Filling Ideas
Everyone has a different idea of the perfect combination of pizza toppings. Pick and choose from the list below or get creative with ideas of your own!
- Different meats - Canadian bacon, ham, bacon, ground beef, spicy Italian sausage, diced chicken, etc.
- Different cheeses - Italian cheese blend, pizza cheese blend, cheddar cheese, Monterey jack, etc.
- Add vegetables - Mushrooms, diced bell peppers, diced onions, olives, tomatoes, etc.
Other Pizza Recipes You Might Like
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken - All the flavors of a pepperoni pizza in a moist, tender chicken breast. This low-carb flavor-packed entrée will easily become a new favorite!
- Pizza Pasta Skillet - This skillet dinner is easy and takes only 30 minutes, making it perfect for any weeknight meal!
- Hot Pizza Dip - Scoop up this easy pizza dip with a toasted baguette and watch it disappear (quickly)!!