This flavorful Mexican Meatloaf is a taco-lover's dream! With tortilla chips, salsa, corn, black beans, big chunks of cheddar cheese and the perfect amount of seasoning, it's a fun twist on a classic meatloaf!Jump to Recipe
You guys...my husband is OBSESSED with this meatloaf!!! Now I'll be honest, he's not a picky eater by any means, but it takes a lot for him to absolutely rave about a meal. And this one....well, he wouldn't stop talking about ....or eating. Ha!!
I've always been a big fan of a traditional meatloaf with the brown sugar/ketchup on top. But sometimes it's fun to change it up a bit and try something new - remember my Italian Meatloaf?! Mmmmm!! This new Mexican Meatloaf is for those who love everything Tex-Mex! It's filled with tortilla chips, corn, black beans, salsa and big melty chunks of cheddar cheese.....it's just so darned good!
- Cheddar Cheese - I always like using a block of cheddar cheese and cubing it. The cubed cheese throughout the meatloaf leave behind these melty cheese pockets that are just so darned good! However, if you only have shredded cheese on hand, that'll work too!
- Ground Beef - I used an 85% lean ground beef. You could also try this with ground pork!
- Black Beans - I used canned black beans; simply rinse and drain and they're ready to go!
- Corn - Frozen or canned will work great!
- Tortilla Chips - Use whatever you've got on hand! Scoops, whole grain, white corn chips....anything will do. Either way, you'll crush them before measuring.
- Salsa - I used a "medium" heat salsa. You could certainly use a mild or hot salsa instead.
- Taco Seasoning
How to make Mexican Meatloaf
First, you'll want to preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with foil. The foil isn't essential, but sure makes for easier clean-up! Then, you'll divide the cheese into 6 oz cubed cheese and about 2 oz shredded - doesn't need to be exact, just eye-ball it!
To make the meatloaf, you'll combine the ingredients (except the shredded cheese and ¼ cup of salsa) in a large bowl. Once it's well-combined, you'll form a loaf that's approximately 12x6 inches. Again, doesn't need to be exact!
Bake the meatloaf for about 55 minutes, then top with the additional salsa and shredded cheese. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until a thermometer stuck into the center of the meatloaf reaches 160F.
NOTE: Because this meatloaf doesn't have true breadcrumbs, it is a little more difficult to slice in perfect, even slices. It's a bit crumbly, but trust me, you won't care once you taste the flavor and notice the moistness of the meatloaf!
What to Serve with Mexican Meatloaf
For me, it's all about the toppings!!! I like to top mine with sour cream, avocado, additional crushed tortilla chips and a splash of hot sauce! You could also include pico de gallo, green onions, diced tomatoes, guacamole, etc.
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey