This cheesy, flavorful Italian Meatloaf is such a fun twist on the classic comfort food!Jump to Recipe
I've always LOVED meatloaf....and my mom's meatloaf is definitely the BEST. Ok, I suppose I'm a bit bias, but give it a try and let me know what you think! 🙂
Have you ever tried different flavors of meatloaf? As much as I love the classic meatloaf with a sweet ketchup glaze, sometimes it's fun to mix it up a bit! Italian Meatloaf does just that and always hits the spot! The pockets of melted cheese in the meatloaf and the marinara on top just make this recipe so fun, delicious and a hit with the kiddos!
- Ground Meat - I like to use 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of ground pork. However, you could certainly use all beef or all pork
- Bread Crumbs
- Grated Parmesan
- Seasonings - Garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt
- Eggs - I always use large eggs
- Marinara Sauce - You could also use pizza sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese - I like to use a block of cheese so I can have big pockets of mozzarella. However, if you've got shredded cheese on hand, that would work great, too!
What is the secret to moist meatloaf?
Here are a few tips!
- Choose ground meat that isn't too lean. I like to use 80-85% lean ground meat for this recipe as the fat helps keep it moist!
- Don't overmix the meatloaf. Of course, you want everything to be incorporated, but stop as soon as it's combined.
- Use a meat thermometer that works. I LOVE my Thermoworks thermometer - it's quick and reliable, so I'll know as soon as the meat is done it take it out of the oven.
- Let the meatloaf rest. Once the meatloaf comes out of the oven, let it rest for 5-10 minutes so the moisture is locked in before slicing.
What to serve with Italian Meatloaf
I love serving this meatloaf with cooked spaghetti, extra warmed up marinara sauce and a green salad with Italian or balsamic dressing on the side. Another option would be to serve it with garlic bread, cooked veggies and fruit!
Can I Freeze Meatloaf?
Sometimes life is hectic and freezer meals can come in so darned handy! Plan to make two meatloaves - make one for supper tonight and freeze one for later! For the freezer meatloaf, use a disposable foil loaf pan and make the meatloaf as the recipe instructs (without the topping).
Instead of baking it, place aluminum foil overtop and place in a freezer bag and into the freezer. You can even measure the topping ingredients in little freezer bags, so they're ready to go, too! When you’re ready to enjoy it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight before cooking.
If you have already cooked it and want to freeze the leftovers, that works too! Make sure the meatloaf is completely cool, then place slices in a freezer bag, making sure to remove as much air as possible and freeze!
Other Quick Weeknight Meals
- One Pot Spaghetti turns the classic into a weeknight favorite, thanks to fewer dishes, less time and more flavor!!
- Sheet Pan Pork Loin has juicy pork loin, crispy brussels sprouts and roasted sweet potatoes all in one, proving that healthy really can be quick and delicious!
- Pizza Braid starts with refrigerated pizza dough, making for a quick and easy meal, customizable to best suit your family’s tastes!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- ⅔ c plain bread crumbs
- ½ c grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ c marinara sauce divided
- 1 8 oz block mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, parmesan, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, eggs and 1 cup of the marinara sauce.
- Cut off about ¼ of the block of cheese and refrigerate until later. Cut the remaining piece into ½ inch cubes.
- Add the cubed cheese to the meat mixture and combine.
- Add the mixture to a large loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf is at least 150°F.
- Then, spread the remaining ⅓ cup marinara sauce over the meatloaf and shred the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf is at least 160°F.
- Remove from the oven, let it rest for 5-10 minutes then enjoy warm!