Maybe this is a little premature, but I’m not about to let the never-ending winter weather stop me from posting this summery little number. This lightened up summer drink will satisfy your sweet frozen cocktail cravings, without setting you back on your summer “beach bod!”
Before we get into the deets of this tasty beverage, let’s discuss a few ways to beat this cold weather!
Five ways to beat the winter blues this weekend….
1. Plan a stay-cation! I don’t know about you, but I tend to catch the cabin fever pretty quickly. Even if it’s just a one night getaway, a staycation is a perfect way to kick back and relax without worrying about the dishes in the sink and the laundry piling up. Book a hotel with a pool (or an indoor waterpark if there’s one nearby!), order pizza, play cards, watch a movie, and wake up to a hot breakfast buffet!
2. Get crafty! Look through your Pinterest pins and choose one to conquer. Whether it’s a DIY home decor project or a recipe you’ve had your eye on, just go for it!
3. Embrace the snow! Bundle up and get outside. Grab a couple sleds and race your kids down the biggest hill around; build a snowman (or be unconventional and build a St. Louis Arch – see photo below! ha!); make a snow angel…then head inside and sip on a hot cup of cocoa!
4. Get the board games out. When I was little, NFL Monopoly was the board game my siblings and I would always play….although man, that game seemed to go on for ages. Nowadays, I’m a pretty mean Chinese Checkers player and love the game Rummikub, but I’m more often playing the game “chase my toddler around!” 😉 I’m also a puzzle addict, so naturally that’s one of the first things I want to get out on a snowy day!
5. Sit by the heater vent, close your eyes, imagine you’re sitting in the summer sun, and sip on a frozen fruity concoction! What fruity concoction, you ask?? Read on… 🙂
We were lucky enough to escape the cold weather a couple weeks with my sister and brother in law in Florida and loved every minute of it. Of all the food and beverages we consumed, the one thing that really just made it feel like vacation were the countless fruity frozen beverages. I love ’em all – pina coladas…..daquiris….bahama mama….you get my drift. However, I don’t even want to know how much sugar was loaded into each of those glasses (although on vacation, calories don’t count, right?!). I decided to come up with a frozen beverage that is a on the “lighter” side and super duper easy to make…..who doesn’t love a THREE ingredient recipe??
Boozy 3-Ingredient Slush
-1 c diet lemon-lime soda
-1 c frozen fruit (strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, mango, or a mix!)
-2 shots vodka or rum
- Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with light whipped cream and/or a fresh fruit garnish.
-Mix it up! Here are a couple ideas….
-Frozen strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries for a mixed berry slush
-Diet Orange Crush soda with frozen pineapple and mangoes with coconut rum for a tropical flavor
-Diet Ginger Beer (instead of the soda) with lime juice and frozen peaches for a frozen peach moscow mule