These Boom Boom Shrimp Tacos will whisk you away to a tropical paradise - with crunchy shrimp, a fruity salsa, and a sauce with a touch of heat, these tacos have it all!Jump to Recipe
Do you ever get halfway through the snowy cold months and think "gosh, it really would be nice to escape the cold for a few days?" I'm with ya. And this year, we made it happen.
My sister and her husband along with Zach and I traveled to a little piece of paradise last week....Ft. Myers Beach. Our time was wonderful - we had beautiful weather, spent time in the Gulf, played hours of cards on the patio and had some phenomenal seafood.
Top 5 food highlights of the trip:
5. Street Tacos at Felipes - The tacos here were to-die-for!! Paired up with their chips & guac....it made for a great dinner!
4. Pina colada - Not much beats a pina colada in the sunshine, by the water! Amiright?! (Fun fact - this area isn't allowed to use plastic straws, so most places we went, we were given paper straws. However, this place used a long tube of pasta instead. We actually preferred it to the paper straws because they didn't get soggy as fast.....who would've thought!)
3. Breakfast Stomboli - Who would've thought something we purchased at the airport could be so delicious?! Seriously good. Des Moines Airport, please take note 😉
2. Seafood-Stuffed Flounder - The first night of our trip, we ate at a restaurant that had a patio right on the beach. Zach and I shared this seafood-stuffed flounder (so we could save room for tasty beverages later on ha!) and it was perfectly cooked and had such good flavor.
1. Boom Boom Shrimp Tacos at Nervous Nellies - Once again, Zach and I shared this meal....and I'm not gonna lie, I didn't want to share after I sunk my teeth into the first taco. Crunchy shrimp, sweet mango salsa, and a tangy boom boom sauce. It was like a beach dance party in my mouth.....sooooo I decided I had no choice but to recreate it when I returned home.....
Now unfortunately, we don't have a plethora of fresh seafood here in Iowa. But luckily, I found that frozen popcorn shrimp does the trick just fine (and makes for a super care-free, easy prep!). And as much as we enjoyed the shrimp, we also tried it with some good fish sticks and thought it was delicious that way too.
So whether or not you'll be able to escape these blustery winter days, I hope these tacos will bring a little bit of sunshine to your household!
Other Yummy Seafood Dishes
Recipe added to the Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday