A jar of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning kick-start this easy One Pot Mexican Beef and Rice making it a delicious dinner option with very little clean-up!Jump to Recipe
You know those nights when dinner-time just sneaks up on you and you want it on the table like...now?! I feel ya. And if you've been following Dance Around the Kitchen for awhile, you know one pot meals are my jam!
Though most of my one pot skillet meals are pasta recipes, my sister Tara requested "some sort of recipe with ground beef and rice and a Mexican flair." The idea quickly propelled me into the kitchen and I got to work! After a few tests, this yummy skillet exceeded my expectations and hopefully will yours, too!
- Ground Beef - You could also sub ground pork, ground chicken, ground turkey, etc.
- Low Sodium Beef Broth - If you don't have beef broth, you can simply add water instead.
- Salsa - The salsa in this recipe replaces the need to chopping tomatoes and other veggies! Opt for the chunky salsa as it'll be the perfect consistency. Get the "Hot Salsa" if you like lots of spice!
- Corn - You can either use one drained can of whole kernel corn or 1 ½ cups of frozen corn.
- Taco Seasoning - Store-bought or homemade works great.
- Minced Onion - The dry kind you find in the spice section of the grocery store.
- Instant Rice - Aka Minute Rice. This makes the recipe really quick. It won't work the same with regular rice.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - You could use a different cheese if you have something else (Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, etc).
How to Make Mexican Beef and Rice
First, brown the ground beef and drain the excess fat.
Next you'll add the beef broth, salsa, drained corn, taco seasoning and minced onion. Stir it in and bring the mixture to a boil.
Then add the rice! Stir it in, bring it to a boil and let simmer (with the lid ON) until the rice is soft.
Once the rice is cooked and most of the moisture has been soaked up, give it a good stir and top with cheese! Let it get nice and melty and enjoy with toppings!
Toppings to Add
When it comes to any Tex-Mex dish, I'm all about the toppings! I always add something green (think green onions, cilantro, etc), something tomatoey (like chopped tomatoes or pico de gallo) and something creamy (such as sour cream or guacamole). Get creative and enjoy customizing it to your tastes!
How to Make it Gluten Free and Dairy Free
This recipe is naturally gluten free. You'll just want to make sure the taco seasoning you use don't have any gluten in it (most do not).
To make it dairy free, you can either skip the cheese or find a dairy-free cheese.
Other Quick Recipes with Ground Beef
Homemade Beefaroni - This is a hearty and delicious take on the childhood classic. Made in just one pan (no boiling noodles separately!), it comes together quickly and the entire family will enjoy it!
One Dish Ground Beef Casserole - This casserole with egg noodles is enjoyed by even the pickiest of eaters. With few ingredients and very few dishes, it's a win-win for everyone!!
Korean Meatballs - These sweet and spicy homemade meatballs are packed with flavor, thanks to lean ground beef, garlic, ginger and one secret Korean ingredient!!
One Pot Spaghetti - This recipe turns the classic into a weeknight favorite, thanks to fewer dishes, less time and more flavor!!