Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar are a favorite side dish during the holidays! With few ingredients, they’re flavorful, perfectly sweet and the optional pecans make for a fun added crunch!Jump to Recipe
Wanna know what I love even more than the turkey and pumpkin pie during the holidays?? The sides. Allllll the sides….from mashed ‘taters to stuffing, dinner rolls and everything in between! And as much as I love a classic sweet potato casserole, I thought these roasted sweet potatoes with brown sugar were much simpler & the perfect side dish for a quick weeknight meal!
My Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots have been super popular here on the blog, so I wanted to use the same flavor profile with sweet potatoes. And though the pecans are totally optional, I love the added crunch nuttiness they bring to the dish!
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar – Light or dark brown sugar will work great
- Pecans – Totally optional, but I love the added crunch and flavor! You could also use walnuts.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Butter – I always use salted butter, but unsalted would work fine, too (just add an additional 1/8 tsp salt)
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar
Do I need to parboil sweet potatoes before roasting?
Nope! Like I said, this recipe is super simple and parboiling is an extra step that simply isn’t necessary.
How to Store Leftovers
Once the potatoes have cooled off, place in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Note: The pecans will soften over time and be less crunchy.
Other Favorite Side Dishes
Cornbread Pudding – Cornbread Pudding is a creamy side dish with sweet corn mixed into a cornbread-like batter. It’s super easy to throw together and is a must at any holiday gathering!
Homemade Butterhorn Rolls – These soft and tender Butterhorn Rolls (aka crescent rolls) are easy to make and a delicious addition to any meal!
Loaded Mashed Potatoes – With smooth and fluffy potatoes, rich cream cheese and ooey-gooey cheddar cheese, these are SO good, there’s no need for gravy!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar
- 5 c peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (~3/4" cubes) about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c chopped pecans optional
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large casserole dish or 9×13" pan, spread the sweet potatoes in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, pecans (optional), cinnamon and salt over the potatoes.
- Drizzle the melted butter on top.
- Mix until potatoes are all coated in buttery brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the potatoes are tender and caramelized.
- Enjoy warm!