When tacos and pizza collide, we get this deliciously easy Taco Pizza!! With a flavorful sauce, taco meat, cheese and all the toppings you want, it's a fiesta in the making!Jump to Recipe
If you live in the Midwest, you're likely familiar with Taco Pizza. It's a staple at pizza joints around here and a must-have when we go out for pizza! Making it at home is super easy and the kids always end up asking for seconds!
Why I Love Homemade Taco Pizza
- It's an EASY meal the whole family loves!
- It's a fun way to change up Taco Tuesday or pizza night!
- You can use store-bought or homemade pizza dough
- It uses simple ingredients you might already have on hand
- Everyone can customize their slice with their favorite toppings like sour cream, black olives, green onions, taco sauce, pico de Gallo, etc!
- Ground Beef - You could also use ground pork or ground turkey instead.
- Taco Seasoning - Feel free to use a mild taco seasoning or use medium or hot for some heat!
- Refried Beans - You can use regular refried beans (made with pinto beans) or refried black beans.
- Taco Sauce - I use a mild taco sauce, but if you want some heat, you can use medium or hot taco sauce, too. If you don't have any taco sauce, red enchilada sauce works great, too.
- Pizza Dough - I like using a can of pizza dough for convenience, but you can also use homemade!
- Cheese - I like doing a combination of Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese. You could also use a Mexican or Fiesta cheese blend!
- Lettuce - Shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce works best.
- Tomatoes - You can use diced Roma tomatoes or diced cherry tomatoes.
- Chips - Though these are optional, I love the crunch it brings!! We always use nacho cheese Doritos.
- Toppings - Whatever favorite taco toppings you have on hand!! Sour cream, hot sauce, red onions, avocado, etc!
How to Make a delicious Taco Pizza
Make the Sauce
To make the meaty sauce, you'll begin by browning the ground beef. Then, you'll add the refried beans, taco seasoning and taco sauce.
Parbake the Dough
You'll stretch the dough to make a 14-inch circle OR press it out to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Bake for 6 minutes. Doing this will ensure that the crust doesn't get soggy from the sauce.
Top the Pizza & Bake
Spread the sauce over the crust then sprinkle with cheese.
Back into the oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
And now for the best part - the toppings! For me, lettuce, tomatoes and crushed chips are a must!
Frequently Asked Questions
Believe it or not, it actually originated in my home state of Iowa! Joe Whitty owns the restaurant chain "Happy Joes." When a franchisee asked to add tacos to their pizza menu, Joe would not allow it. Instead, he came up with a "Taco Pizza!" Taco pizza is now a staple item at many midwest pizza chains including Caseys, Pizza Hut, Godfather's and more!
Because of the cold toppings (lettuce & tomatoes) and the crunchy chips, it's really best when it's fresh. However, if you do have leftover pizza, you can cover it with plastic wrap or keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.