This Breakfast Braid has ground sausage, eggs, red peppers and melty cheddar cheese! It’s simple to make, yet pretty enough to serve on a special occasion!Jump to Recipe
Remember the Pizza Braid I had posted just a few weeks ago?? It’s been a popular recipe, which is no surprise to me, given how easy & delicious it is!
So when I had an extra tube of refrigerated pizza dough in the fridge one morning, I couldn’t help but imagine a similar recipe with a breakfast-type filling! Not only was it absolutely DELICIOUS (and the whole family loved it), it’s easy to customize with your favorite breakfast flavors!
How to Make a Breakfast Braid
First, you’ll want to cook the sausage and prepare the scrambled eggs. As you’ll see in the recipe notes, if you’re low on time, there are a couple simple shortcuts to make this even simpler!
Now it’s time to put the braid together and send it into the oven! They say “a picture is worth a thousand words” so these photos should help visualize what the next steps look like!
Then it’s time to head to the oven! How pretty is this?!
Once the braid comes out of the oven, you’ll brush it with melted butter for a lovely, shiny golden brown topping. Cut into slices and serve warm!
Customize the Breakfast Braid
Of the many things I love about this braid, I especially love that it’s customizable based on your family’s preferences. Here are a few things to consider!
- Add different kinds of meat – try sausage, crumbled bacon, diced ham, etc!
- Add more veggies or skip altogether – try green or yellow bell peppers, onions, green onions, mushrooms, etc!
- Try adding different kinds of cheese – how about pepperjack, Monterey jack, sharp cheddar, etc!
- Let me know what you try, I’d love to see your creations!!
Other delicious Breakfast Recipes
Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole – This hearty breakfast casserole has sausage, eggs, crescent rolls and shredded cheese!! It’s always a crowd-pleaser!
Homemade Blueberry Muffins – These bakery-style Homemade Blueberry Muffins are moist, tender and full of plump, juicy blueberries! Topped with sugar crystals, they’re pretty enough for a brunch party, yet easy enough for a weekday breakfast!
Sheet Pan Breakfast Quesadillas – Eggs, melty cheese and meat fill these breakfast quesadillas which makes for the most crave-able breakfast that’s sure to get you (and the kids!) outta bed!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
- 1 10 oz tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 12 oz ground breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled*
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 c diced red bell pepper
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the pizza dough onto the parchment paper and press into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle the cooked breakfast sausage down the center (the middle 1/3) of the rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, black pepper and red bell pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into a hot skillet, scrambling until cooked.**
- Sprinkle the eggs over the sausage.
- Next, sprinkle the cheese over the eggs.
- Use the pizza cutter to cut each side of the breakfast braid into 12-15 strips.
- Fold the strips of dough over the filling, alternating sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Brush with melted butter and serve warm.
I created and photographed this recipe for Eat Wheat.org and wanted to share the tasty recipe with you all!! <3