Turn a box brownie mix into these creamy, dreamy Cheesecake Brownies! They're rich, fudgy and have a swirl of cream cheese filling!Jump to Recipe
Hello, chocolate lovers! I see you eyeing those brownies....that fudgy bottom layer and creamy swirl. Notice how I stacked a few up for ya? Yeah, that's because one just might not be enough!
If I could send one of these Cheesecake Brownies through the computer screen to ya, I sure would. But since I can't, I'll share the recipe (and some helpful tips!) with you instead. You'll thank me later! 🙂
- Brownie Mix & ingredients on box - I used a "fudge brownie" box, but any will do.
- Cream Cheese
- Granulated Sugar
- Chocolate Chips - I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips in these, but mini chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips will work too!
How do you make Cheesecake Brownies?
1. Make the brownie batter
This recipe calls for a boxed brownie mix, so it's super quick and easy. Simply mix the brownie batter according to the box instructions and pour into a 9x9" pan.
2. Make the cheesecake filling
Stir the softened cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Then whisk in the egg and stir in the ½ cup of chocolate chips. Spoon the filling over the brownie batter, leaving some space where brownie batter peeks through.
3. Swirl and bake!
Next, you're going to take a butter knife and swirl the cheesecake and brownie batter. Once you have the look you want, you'll sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoon chocolate chips on top.
Bake until it's a light golden brown and the edges are set. Let cool, then cut and enjoy!
What's the best way to cut brownies?
If you're not worried about the appearance and cleanliness of your brownie lines, then simply cutting them with a knife in the pan will do the trick. However, I find clean-cut squares so satisfying!
Here's what I do. First, let the brownies cool completely and refrigerate. Then, remove the entire sheet of brownies out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Use a chef's knife (any knife will work, but I find a chef's knife to work best) to cut the squares.
Do Cheesecake Brownies need to be refrigerated?
Due to the dairy (and moisture) in the cheesecake swirl, these do need to be refrigerated*. I like to cut them and place them in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
If you stack them, I'd recommend putting a sheet of waxed paper in between the layers so they don't stick together.
*If you're bringing these to a potluck or some sort of event, you can keep them at room temperature for several hours. However, I don't recommend keeping them out for more than 8 hours.
No brownie mix? No problem!
If you don't have any brownie mix, here's what I recommend. Use my Chewy Homemade Brownie recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan instead of a 9x9. This will take a little longer to prep, but will also cut down on the bake time!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
- 1 box brownie mix + ingredients listed on box (likely eggs, oil and water)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ c sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ c + 2 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x9" baking pan*.
- Stir together the brownie mix as instructed to on the box.
- Pour brownie batter into the prepared pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the cream cheese and sugar until nice and smooth.
- Whisk in the egg, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture over the brownie mix and swirl with a butter knife.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is turning a light golden brown and the outer edge is set.
- Let cool before cutting and serving.