These easy Hot Chocolate Brownies are fudgy, have a swirl of hot cocoa marshmallow cream and are topped with marshmallow bits! They're super pretty and simple, thanks to a box of brownie mix!Jump to Recipe
There's something about hot chocolate that's so nostalgic to me. Growing up in the Midwest, winters were cold and snowy and honestly, I loved it! I loved the snow, building forts and tunnels, going sledding....and the hot cocoa topped with marshmallows Mom would make when my siblings and I came inside to warm up.
I've turned my love of hot cocoa into a Snack Mix, a gorgeous Poke Cake and I thought it would make a super delicious and fudgy brownie. So, after a couple rounds of testing, here we are!
- Boxed Brownie Mix - I used the Duncan Hines brand and baked it in a 9x9-inch pan. Please note that box sizes vary a bit....any box that has an option of an 8x8 or 9x9-inch pan will work, just be sure to note the baking time. You could also opt to make these homemade brownies in a 9x13-inch pan!
- Ingredients listed on back of brownie mix box - This will likely be egg, water and vegetable oil.
- Marshmallow Creme - Also known as marshmallow fluff. This is typically sold by the marshmallows.
- Hot Cocoa Mix - One single serving packet is what you'll need for this recipe.
- Marshmallow Bits - These are little dehydrated marshmallows and they're so fun to bake with. If you can't find them (typically in the hot chocolate/coffee aisle), you can either use the ones in a packet of hot cocoa mix with marshmallows or use mini marshmallows instead.
- Mini Chocolate Chips
How to Make Hot Chocolate Brownies
I always like to start by preheating the oven and prepping my pan. For this recipe, the oven needs to be at 350F. Spray your pan with cooking spray and set aside so you're ready when needed.
Next, prepare the brownie mix as stated on the box. You'll most likely need eggs, vegetable oil (or melted butter) and water. Once it's mixed, pour it into the prepared pan and set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the marshmallow creme, hot cocoa mix and water.
Then you'll dollop the mixture over the brownie batter and use a knife to swirl it in. Lastly, sprinkle the top with marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips and bake!
Once the brownies are done, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool. Use a plastic knife to cut into squares.
It seems silly, but the best way to get a clean cut is to use a plastic knife. Yes, like the disposable, cheap knives. I'm not sure why these work the best, but they do!
I do not recommend using hot cocoa mix in place of cocoa powder in homemade brownies. Regular cocoa powder is very bitter, whereas hot cocoa mix has added sugar and other ingredients that will change the flavor and texture. However, this recipe uses the hot cocoa mix on top, mixed into the marshmallow cream to bring the hot chocolate flavor to life!
Yes!! These brownies can be frozen. Once completely cool, place them in an airtight container or in a freezer bag. Freeze until ready to enjoy!
Brownie Recipes using a Box Mix
Toffee Brownies - Toffee Brownies have a chewy brownie base with a fudgy topping & crunchy bits of toffee sprinkled on top!
Cheesecake Brownies - Turn a box brownie mix into these creamy, dreamy Cheesecake Brownies! They're rich, fudgy and have a swirl of cream cheese filling!
Rocky Road Brownies - All the flavors and textures of rocky road ice cream transformed into the most mouth-watering brownie!
Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches - This frozen dessert has no-churn ice cream sandwiched between two brownies. The flavor combos are endless!
Hot Chocolate Brownies
- 1 8x8 or 9x9-inch square pan
- One 18 ounce box brownie mix + ingredients listed on back of box
- 1 cup marshmallow creme (fluff)
- 1 packet hot cocoa mix about 3 tablespoons
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons marshmallow bits or mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8 or 9x9-inch pan* with cooking spray.
- Mix the boxed brownies according to package instructions and spread into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the marshmallow creme, hot cocoa mix and water.
- Dollop the mixture over the brownie mix and use a knife to swirl.
- Sprinkle the marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips on top.
- Bake time will depend on the brownie mix used. Look at the box mix to determine cook time. It'll likely take around 28-30 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool, cut into squares and enjoy!
Leave a Reply