Cornbread Pudding is a creamy side dish with sweet corn mixed into a cornbread-like batter. It's super easy to throw together and is a must at any holiday gathering!Jump to Recipe
When I think about any holiday meal, I always look forward to a tasty side dish more than the main dish. I mean, I love a good piece of ham or roast beef, but the side dishes get me every time. Stuffing? Yes please. Green bean casserole? Pass it over! And this Cornbread Pudding?! It'll be first on my plate! It's truly one of my favorite side dishes and I think it'll be a big hit with your friends and family, too!
A Great Side Dish for the Holidays
For those of you preparing a large meal for family and friends, you'll be glad to know that this is one of the easiest side dishes you can make. With only 6 simple ingredients and a quick stir, you'll be well on your way to serving up this creamy cornbread pudding, also known as corn casserole.
It's got similar flavor to a traditional cornbread (lots of corn flavor and a little bit sweet) but with a more custard-like texture. It's creamy, thanks to the sour cream and cream style corn and has whole kernels of corn throughout the dish. Ok now all this talk is getting me HUNGRY!
Though I tend to think of Cornbread Pudding more during the holidays, it's easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner, too! If you're craving comfort food, this cornbread pudding recipe is exactly what you need!
Cornbread Pudding Ingredients
Ahhh don't we all love a recipe with a short list of ingredients?!
- Eggs - I always use large eggs
- Regular Sour Cream - Use full-fat sour cream (skip the low fat version) for this recipe
- Melted Butter - I use salted butter
- Whole Kernel Corn - If you have sweet corn in the freezer, you can certainly use that instead of the canned corn! Simply thaw out and drain any excess moisture. You'll need 1 ½ cups. You could also opt to use fresh corn cut off the cob.
- Cream-Style Corn
- Cornbread Mix - I've always used Jiffy corn muffin mix for this recipe as they're the perfect sized boxes!
How to Make Cornbread Pudding (See photos below)
- Combine the eggs, sour cream, melted butter and cans of corn in a large bowl.
- Add the jiffy mix to the wet ingredients.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour into greased casserole dish or cast-iron skillet and bake in a preheated oven until a very light golden brown on top.
I really love this easy recipe as-is, but have also added different ingredients to change it up a bit! Here are a few ideas for ingredients to add to change it up! Be sure to add these ingredients in when you stir the cornbread mix in.
- Diced jalapenos - be sure to remove the seeds if you don't want quite as much heat
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Cheese - Cheddar and pepperjack would both be great options!
- Diced red and green peppers
- Canned diced green chilies - I recommend draining these before adding them to the batter so they don't add too much moisture
What to do with Leftover Cornbread Pudding
I get it - the holiday table is full of delicious options and sometimes, you end up with leftovers! Simply spoon the remaining side dish into an airtight container or cover the dish with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
I don't recommend freezing cornbread pudding as the texture won't be as good when reheated.
Other Delicious Side Dishes
Loaded Mashed Potatoes - With smooth and fluffy potatoes, rich cream cheese and ooey-gooey cheddar cheese, these are SO good, there’s no need for gravy!
Butterhorn Rolls - These soft and tender Butterhorn Rolls (aka crescent rolls) are easy to make and a delicious addition to any meal!
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots - They’re easy to make, full of flavor and have just the right amount of sweetness!
Orange Jello Salad - With just a few ingredients, this light and fluffy Orange Jello Salad is super easy, kid-friendly and perfect for any gathering!
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey
This is the best corn pudding we’ve ever made!
Julie Mae says
Omgaaaah… thank you!!!! So good… still stuffing my face and im hiding in the garage to keep the rest from my daughter and son who are trying to fight me for it! Lol no joke! They’re older teens so don’t think im a terrible mom 🤭
Hahaha that's the best. Thanks for the laugh!!! So glad you all enjoyed it! 🙂