Praline Crunch snack mix has crispy, crunchy, caramel-coated Crispix cereal and pecans studded throughout. It’s SO good, however, be warned: this stuff is seriously addictive!!Jump to Recipe
Everyone has that favorite party snack recipe. It could be a savory Chex Mix or a sweet-tooth’s go-to Puppy Chow. Although I’m a sucker for about any kind of little munchies, this Praline Crunch is at the top of my list!
My mom has been making this around the holidays for as long as I can remember. She’d make a big batch and fill ice cream buckets full for transport to holiday festivities.
This praline crunch has just a handful of ingredients and makes the perfect addition to holiday gatherings. Why do I keep saying “holiday?!” Sure, it’s a great holiday treat, but why do we have to wait for a certain month to enjoy it?! Well, good news is, you don’t have to! Make it anytime…..I’m not judging! 😉
What ingredients do I need to make Praline Crunch?
- Butter – I highly recommend using the real thing. No margarine or “light” butter in this recipe! (You can save calories elsewhere ;))
- Brown Sugar – This is what will give the caramel flavor and help with the crunchy texture! Use light or dark brown sugar – either will work fine.
- Corn Syrup – Light or dark corn syrup will work in this recipe, however I typically use light corn syrup as I always have it on hand.
- Vanilla – Such a wonderful complimentary flavor to caramel!
- Salt – This helps balance out the sweetness and actually enhances the caramel flavor in the mix. The sweet/salty mix is SO addictive!
- Crispix Cereal – Those crunchy little hexagons are perfect for this mix with their numerous nooks and crannies for the caramel to sneak in!
- Pecan Halves – It wouldn’t be “praline” crunch without them! They get nice and toasted in the oven, giving the snack mix great flavor and aroma!
Advice for making the BEST Praline Crunch snack mix:
My biggest piece of advice is to make a double batch, because you’re gonna wish you did! 😉 Ok, but in all seriousness, this is a very simple recipe. Although there really isn’t much to mess up, here are a couple tips to help guide you to success!
- Carefully watch the timer when you’re boiling the caramel mixture. If you boil it longer than the recipe says, it’ll form a thicker mixture (and therefore be difficult to stir into the cereal). I recommend having a big bowl with the cereal and pecans ready, so as soon as the boil time is up, you can pour it over the cereal/pecans immediately.
- Stir the mix together carefully. First off, the caramel sauce is HOT when you pour it over the cereal and pecans. Safety first! 🙂 Second, you don’t want to crush the cereal, so try to fold the mixture to combine using a large spoon or rubber spatula. It’ll take awhile to make sure all the pieces are coated, so try not to get impatient.
- Set a timer while the snack mix is in the oven. I recommend setting the timer on 15 minute increments so you remember to stir it throughout the baking process.
How should I store the snack mix?
I always store this mix in a large tightly sealed Tupperware container. It’ll last for a week or two on the counter that way.
This does make a decent sized batch of snack mix, so ice cream buckets with lids work well for storage, too! And the handle is nice for carrying the mix to and from holiday gatherings.
How should I package the mixture for gifts?
This Praline Crunch is perfect for gift giving, especially for coworkers, teachers, coaches, etc. There are a couple different packing options I’d recommend:
- Get some cute little tins and fill them up! Tie a ribbon around it (securing the lid on top) and add a gift tag. Simple, cute, and the tins are reusable!
- Treat bags work well too! Especially if you don’t want to spend an extra few bucks on holiday tins, this is a great option. Simply fill the clear bags and tie a festive ribbon on top – voila!
Praline Crunch Recipe
- 1 c butter
- 2 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 18 oz box Crispix cereal
- 1/2 lb pecan halves (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cereal and pecans. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook on medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal and pecans and stir until the pieces are evenly coated, being careful not to crush the cereal.
- Divide the mixture between two sheet pans* and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring each pan of praline crunch every 15 minutes.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.