This quick and easy Cheeseburger Braid is a fun way to change up the weeknight meal routine! Top with your favorite cheeseburger toppings to customize to your liking!Jump to Recipe
Ya know what I love about braids? They look so pretty and nobody would know how easy they truly are to make!!! Maybe that's why MILLIONS of people have been watching this braid tutorial on Instagram...
And when it comes to breakfast, I've got you covered. Not sure I could pick a fave between the Breakfast Braid and the Raspberry Danish Braid....so I'm giving you both! 😉 Ok, now back to the new kid on the block....the Cheeseburger Braid!!
- Ground Beef
- Minced Onion
- Salt & Pepper - Or seasoned salt
- Pizza Dough - I use the refrigerated pizza crust from the grocery store
- Cheese - You can use Cheddar slices, American slices, shredded cheese, etc. Whatever you've got on hand that sounds good on a cheeseburger!
- Egg - This will be used for an egg wash that'll help give the braid a lovely golden brown color when baked.
- Sesame Seeds - Optional, but such a fun way to give it the classic "cheeseburger" appearance!
- Condiments - What's a cheeseburger without all the condiments?! More on that below!
How to Make A Cheeseburger Braid
You'll start by cooking some ground beef in a skillet. If there's a decent amount of excess grease, drain it and discard.
Next you'll season your ground beef. I like to add minced onion, salt and pepper. You can also use your favorite burger blend!
Now we're ready to build the braid. Unroll the pizza dough and press it out into a nice rectangle. Cut the long sides of the rectangle into about 12-15 strips. Each strip should be about inches long, leaving plenty of room in the center for the filling.
Time to load it up! First, you'll spoon the seasoned ground beef into the center of the dough.
Then, add the cheese.
And then you'll take one strip of the dough at the top of the rectangle and cross it over the meat and cheese. Repeat, alternating sides until the braid is complete.
In a small dish, you'll whisk together the egg and water to form an egg wash. Brush this over the braid and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Use as many or as few as you'd like.
Depending on your oven the thickness of your braid, it'll take between 18-22 minutes to bake. Bake until it's a nice golden brown and the filling is hot!
What Condiments Should I Serve with a Cheeseburger Braid?
- Ketchup and mustard is a given!
- Some people like mayo on their burger, so that can be used, too.
- Pickles or pickle relish.
- Lettuce & tomatoes, if you're willing to eat with a fork! 🙂
Fun Burger Braid Variations
Bacon Cheeseburger: Add ½ cup of cooked and crumbled bacon into the braid before baking.
Jalapeño Cheddar Burger: Add sliced jalapeños (fresh or canned) to the meat mixture and add extra cheddar cheese OR cheddar and pepper jack!
Patty Melt Burger: Add sautéed onions and/or mushrooms and some Swiss cheese to the braid.