This Cherry Dump Cake has sweet cherry pie filling, a cheesecake layer and a buttery cake mix topping. Top with a scoop of ice cream for the easiest, yummiest dessert!!Jump to Recipe
The first time my hubby gave this a try, his first comment was "Kelsey, you need to put this on the blog STAT." And I agreed.
You guys....this stuff is unreal. And if you're looking for a simple dessert to impress, stop looking because this easy dump cake recipe is THE ONE.
If you've tried my Easy Cherry Cobbler, this one is similar, but I think I might like it even better! This Cherry Dump Cake recipe has a cheesecake-like layer that makes it such a delicious dessert - easy enough for a weeknight but fancy enough for a special occasion!
Cherry Dump Cake Ingredients
This easy dessert has just six simple ingredients.
- Cherry Pie Filling - You could use blueberry or raspberry pie filling instead (or a combo!)
- Whipped Cream Cheese - Be sure to specifically get the "whipped" variety as it's easier to stir than regular
- Granulated Sugar
- One Large Egg
- Box of Cake Mix - I prefer yellow cake mix. White works just fine, too, but I tend to think yellow cake mix has a little more flavor
- Butter - I like to use salted butter in this recipe
How to make Cherry Dump Cake
There are just a few easy steps to making this dump cake.
First, you'll dump the two cans of cherry pie filling into the bottom of a baking dish and set aside.
Next, you'll mix the whipped cream cheese, egg and sugar until nice and smooth. Spoon it over the cherry filling.
Now you'll sprinkle the box of yellow cake mix on top of the fruit and spread out to an even layer.
Drizzle the melted butter on top of the cake mix. You want to drizzle in a small stream to cover as much of the dry cake mix as possible. Voila - time to bake!!!
You'll bake in a preheated oven until the topping is golden brown and the fruit filling is nice and bubbly.
How to Serve a Dump Cake
I like to serve any fruit dump cake warm with a scoop of ice cream!! However, it's also delicious at room temperature or refrigerated.
How to Store A Dump Cake
Simply let the dump cake cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap (or place in an airtight container) and refrigerate for up to five days. When you're ready to enjoy, you can eat it cold or warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave.
Variations of Cherry Dump Cake
Let's just start by saying that this cherry dump cake with cream cheese is absolutely scrumptious as-is. However, if you don't have any cherry pie filling or yellow cake mix, there are different options...
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake - Cherry pie filling, omit the cream cheese layer, sprinkle with ½ cup chocolate chips then a chocolate cake mix (or Devil's food cake mix)
- Blueberries & Cream Dump Cake - Blueberry pie filling, keep the cream cheese layer, yellow or white cake mix (or skip the cream cheese layer and add lemon cake mix!)
- Cherry Berry Dump Cake - Cherry pie filling + 2 cups of frozen berries, keep or omit the cream cheese layer, yellow or white cake mix
- Double Cherry Dump Cake - Make the recipe as-is, but swap the yellow cake mix for cherry chip cake mix
- Peach Dump Cake - Use peach pie filling, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on top, keep or omit the cream cheese layer, spiced cake or yellow boxed cake mix
- Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake - Use 1 can of cherry pie filling, one (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple (with the juice), omit the cream cheese layer and use yellow cake mix
Other Dump Cake Recipes I Love
Connect with Dance Around the Kitchen!
Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook so you never miss a recipe!! And as always, thank you for following along with my blog, making my recipes, liking and sharing on social media and any other way you support Dance Around the Kitchen! -Kelsey